Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Random Wax: 2021 Topps Big League Baseball

2021 Big League Baseball:  Opening week is always fun so I'll try to get the hype going with baseball this week.  This is a favorite photo of mine.  Nolan Arenado is already a favorite player of mine but something about this picture really works for me.  The look on his face, the eye black, the uni...it just really is one I like.
I like the Topps Big League baseball brands.  I've liked this one's design more as time has gone on.  Big League Baseball is a "cheaper" option for cards.  I think I'll pick up a hobby box of this.  We'll see.  No guaranteed autos in those.  I'm waffling a bit.
League Leader cards are always good but I would have liked it if they had added the player's names somewhere.
The photos are similar to the flagship Topps self but feel like they are cropped differently.  Not complaining.  Just a different feel.
Robert had that breakout power season hitting 38 home runs which was more than this first three seasons combined.  The background of this Defensive Wizards doesn't seem to fit but I like the look of the card.  Robert has won one Gold Glove.
Great Mookie Betts photo.  He'll be the Dodgers' shortstop this year?  One thing to be a great hitter but he's had to be very versatile defensively in his career.  I do like the Wanted inserts (6X Gold Glove winner).  Souvenirs are okay but really don't tell a story with the design.
2024 will be the first time in 18 season Waino won't be on the field for the St. Louis Cardinals.  Unfortunately the backs don't have the complete career stats of the players.
These are fun.  I'm looking forward to opening some 2024 Big League Baseball cards.  Seem like they only show up at Target nowadays.  We'll see.  Two more days until the season starts!

BREAKDOWN:
36 – Total Cards
6 – RC
3 – League Leaders
3 – Orange Parallel
1 – Wanted
1 – Souvenirs
1 - Highlights
1 – Defensive Wizards



8 comments:

  1. I like the design... but the photos on this sampling of cards were zoomed in too much. As for the inserts, the Wanted and Defensive Wizards cards are cool. Not a fan of Souvenirs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Souvenirs looks like something out of an early 80s Fleer set.

      Delete
  2. I like the Topps Big League brand as well. There are always some fun inserts in the product. Like yourself, I am looking forward to the 2024 edition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like something you'd see in 1989. That's not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete