Sunday, February 18, 2024

Random Wax: 2023 Donruss Racing Hobby Box (Part Deux)

2023 Donruss:  The NASCAR season starts in earnest today with the Daytona 500.  With that we'll take a second look at my 2023 Donruss hobby box I first shared last July.  We'll kick off this look back with two-time champion Joey Logano.  I really like the Retro 1990 design which is a favorite of mine.
These boxes have so many great cards so I had to show off more.  I'll even do a third post at some point.  Youngster Parker Chase doing his best Jack Black?
These are three of the Optic cards which are "parallels" of other cards in the set.  Two McDonalds drivers to bookend recently retired Kevin Harvick.
Nice look at cars on these horizontal cards.
Some of the shiny cards.  Great seeing Jeff Gordon back in sets after he wasn't for quite a while.  I do like the Elite Series and Power Squad.
I do like the Race Kings parallel cards more with the color.  Unfortunately that's not what we got with the base Racing Kings design.  Ryan Blaney, the reigning NASCAR champion.
Under the Lights cards are nice.  I dig 'em.
Race Kings in the aforementioned base design.  The Diamond is part of the design due to NASCAR's 75th Anniversary.  A bit bland but I do like the cars being part of the design.
Plenty of fun variety in this set.  Retired greats make up a big part of it.
Another nice card showcasing the cards.
I do like the Unleashed cards.  Kind of goofy and quirky but I like them.  Metal Masters is lots of color as well and I like those.
One of the two Race Day relics in this box.  This one is a Red Parallel #/250.  These Donruss cards really are fun.  Lots of great drivers, past and present, on some different cool designs.  We'll end it here with The King, Richard Petty.

BREAKDOWN:
192 –Total Cards
60 – 1990 Donruss
34 – Retired Greats
24 – Optic
23 –Race Kings
15 – Silver Parallel
8 – Cars (Basic)
6 – Elite Series
6 – Rated Rookie
4 – Unleashed
4 – Under the Lights
3 – Royalty
3 – Metal Masters
3 – Red Parallel #/299
2 – Revved Up
2 – Power Squad
2 – Race Day Relic
2 – Green Parallel #/99
2 – Navy Blue Parallel #/199
2 – Holographic Parallel #/199
1 – Marvels
1 – Monikers Auto
1 – Red Parallel #/250
1 – Purple Parallel #/49


5 comments:

  1. Voting for Danica.
    Petty takes second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Danica and that is a nice looking photo of her.

      Delete
  2. That Power Squad insert looks kind of cool. I'm starting to get the impression that Panini reuses a lot of their insert sets across different sports. I feel like I've seen those Unleashed inserts in baseball and possibly other sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do that. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. Unleashed is in the other sports as well.

      Delete