Monday, June 11, 2018

Golden State Warriors Win NBA Championship

The Golden State Warriors defeated the Cleveland Cavalier 4-0 in the 2018 NBA Finals.  We knew going into the season this was the probable outcome.  This is a great team and they deserved the title.  Watching them play is fun.  They have so many weapons it is hard to ever count them out even when down 10 or 15 points.  Now that they've won three championships in four years there is sure to be some Warriors fatigue.  But don't hate.  This team has great players who play great basketball not only on offense but also on defense.  Look at the Cavs' stats from the Finals and you'll see a team that was completely shut down sans arguably the second greatest player ever.    
  If it weren't for LeBron we'd be talking about Kevin Durant in a different light.  He is a great scorer and so good he even shines on a team of stars.  Stephen Curry is an amazing talent and shooter, the likes of which we really must give his due because we will talk about his shots and shooting for ages to come.  Klay Thompson is another great shooter who has a good all around game that is perfect for this team.  The villain of course is Draymond Green.  Dislike him if you will - I do quite often but he is another perfect fit for this team whose stats will never tell the true value of his play.  In theory coaching a team like this is easy but if you pay attention at all to history and what players and coaches will tell you it can't be further from the truth.  Steve Kerr must also get his due for the team's success.  
  We obviously didn't get a competitive series but we saw great play by a superior team.  We knew the Cavs weren't good enough and they got rolled.  Sure J.R. Smith doomed them from the outset but the good teams find ways to win and when Golden State got a second chance in that overtime the Warriors took no prisoners and ran away with the win.  I'm not sure three of four championships make this team a dynasty but I know by just watching them they are studs and I won't argue if people want to call it that.  Congratulations to the Warriors, a great team with great players.     

5 comments:

  1. I didn't watch game 4 but I watched the first three games. When KD hit that trey near the end of game three and didn't react at all I thought that was cold blooded. He's an all-time great player and it's a shame he gets so much crap for going to Golden State. It's not good for competitive balance or whatever but it's not the end of the world that they have 3 titles in 4 years. If they do it again next year then I'll get tired of 'em ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't blame you. I think those folks that are on the fence like you will also jump on the "The Warriors must go" band wagon. We'll see if the offseason give us any hope of another team taking them down next year.

      Delete
  2. I don't dislike the Warriors... but I'm not gonna lie... I'm happy the season is over. Living in the Bay Area, they dominate about 85% of the sports radio talk. I'm excited to start hearing a little baseball... before it transitions to football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I can only imagine. It must be Warriors talks 24/7. I live near St. Louis and all I hear about are the Cardinals and I really don't like the Cardinals...

      Delete
    2. As of yesterday it was down to 83% ;)

      Delete