Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Batman: The Killing Joke Animated Movie


 Batman: The Killing Joke (2016): The Batman graphic novel The Killing Joke is a heralded story in the great history of Batman.  Written by Alan Moore (Watchmen) it didn't shy about taking Joker's brutality to another level.  I thought the comic was a good read though I don't think of it as an all-time favorite.  I'm not surprised it got the animated treatment and it didn't shy away from the material receiving an R rating.  I finally got around to watching it and liked the movie which centers around Batman, Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon and the Joker.  It was done well and kept my interest.  If you liked the graphic novel you'll like this though there are differences in where they take Batman and Batgirl's relationship.  If you are a fan of Batman you'll want to see this.  It's just not the standard animated comic movie and remember it isn't for kids.  My daughter is a huge Batman fan and enjoyed the film which she saw in theaters.  She wasn't sure about a few things they did with the storyline but overall liked it.  I won't get into specifics because it'd be too easy to give away spoilers but wanted to throw out my thoughts for anyone interested.



2 comments:

  1. One of my greatest flea market fails involves this comic. I found a guy with a bunch of copies, but I only bought one (paid less than a buck for it). Had no idea it was a famous comic until I got home and looked it up.

    I watched the cartoon... and thought it was good. Couldn't believe how dark it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know Batman is "dark" but this one could definitely take folks by surprise. Especially if they haven't read the comic.

      Delete