Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Damian Lillard To the Milwaukee Bucks In Three-Team Trade

I knew it was coming but it still hurts.  Damian Lillard is my favorite all-time Trail Blazer and beyond hope I wanted him to retire in Portland.  Lillard now goes to the Bucks where he'll team up with Giannis Antetokounmpo.  At my core I don't like trade requests but it's part of the game.  Also at my core I'm glad he'll go somewhere where he can compete for a title and play with a great like Giannis. I hope he does great and gets that ring.

Portland's haul isn't bad but not great.  Sounds like Jrue Holiday will not be with the team long since his age (33) doesn't match up with the teams young core.  But Holiday should bring back something good. He's still an excellent defender and can shoot the three.  The definition of a 3 and D guy.  Something a contender would covet.  Deandre Ayton is probably the prize catch here.  He's only 25 and averaged 18 and 10 last season.  That said I'm not big on him, but we'll see if I can get behind the big man in a Portland uniform.  The Draft picks will probably be fodder in the future for another trade down the road.  It's not the haul Brooklyn got for KD but it good and much better than anything Miami could come up with.  What they get for Holiday could really make this look even better.  As is I give it a B+.

Portland receives: From Milwaukee, guard Jrue Holiday, Milwaukee's unprotected 2029 first-round pick, the right to swap first-round picks with Milwaukee in 2028 and 2030, From Phoenix, center Deandre Ayton, and forward Toumani Camara from the Suns in the deal.

Phoenix receives: From Portland, center Jusuf Nurkic, forward Nassir Little, and guard Keon Johnson,  from Milwaukee, wing Grayson Allen



10 comments:

  1. One of the things I liked about Dame was his loyalty. He really wanted to win in Portland, and stayed for as long as he could. What I didn't like was his(agent's) power play that he would *only* go to Miami -- a team I can't root for, ever.

    But the Bucks? Oh hell yes. Three of my favorite players (Giannis, Middleton, and Lillard) + Brook Lopez who might be the last active New Jersey Net. Now *that's* a team I can get excited about. Of course, I'm just a "casual"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Giannis and Brook Lopez so that makes Milwaukee a good spot for him to go. I hope they do good things. The East is pretty wide open though you have to think Boston is the favorite going into the year but you never know.

      Delete
  2. This was a legit blockbuster. Sad to see Dame go, but hope he is happy and is rejuvenated on a strong team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just glad this is finally over with. I bought tickets for our home opener last night. The Bucks were one of the only other teams that I could actually stand, but I'm going to have a hard time watching them going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It won't be the same. And while I want to see him do well it makes so complicated in my head.

      Delete
  4. Bummed that Portland couldn't work things out with Dame. Even more bummed that he'll be teaming up with Giannis to beat up on my Bulls for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bucks have to be seen as a favorite again along with the Celtics. They looked stacked.

      Delete
  5. I was hoping Lillard would change his mind and decide he wanted to be a lifelong Blazer. Oh well... like you... I hope he finds success in Milwaukee.

    ReplyDelete