Saturday, May 3, 2014

Star Wars Expanded Universe Gone in 60 Seconds...

Not my collection of books but it mine looks real similar.

So Star Wars has decided to do away with the Star Wars Expanded Universe as we know it. They released a statement on 25 April with their reasoning.  For those not familiar with the Expanded Universe (EU) it is every one of the officially licensed, fictional background of the Star Wars universe, outside of the six Star Wars films produced by George Lucas. It is derived from and includes most official Star Wars-related books, comic books, video games, spin-off films, television series, toys, and other media. 

I was introduced to the EU via the Star Wars books around 1995 and I haven't looked back since.  I've read all the books released in the past and I'm catching up now on a few that have been released recently.  The EU, and for me, specifically the books have given me this awesome universe full of many great characters that we've seen grow throughout all the different series throughout the years.  Many of the original characters have grown older, gotten married, had kids and some have died.  Many of the supporting characters have grown into full on stars.  Other books have explored timeframes many years before and after the core six movies George Lucas created. 

Characters from the series Star Wars: New Jedi Order
So this was a tough pill to swallow when I read this.  I've invested much into the EU taking it to heart.  Now it is all gone.  Now I'm not get overly dramatic.  Don't take what I'm saying wrong.  It is just there are many great stories and you tend to get invested in what is happening to all the characters whether they were from the movies or the EU.  That said I'm looking forward to the new movies and what they'll bring.  I understand doing way with the EU gives the creators of future movies much more leeway.  They aren't confined to what is already out there.  That would be tough to ask of any screenwriter.  Much has been done with the core characters and their siblings.  So they might be forced to use an existing EU storyline or work around all those that are out there.  To that end this makes some sense.  Doesn't mean I'll like it though...for now.

The announcement has already been made relating to the immediate future of Star Wars books.  While I can't say Grand Moff Tarkin was high on my list of books I was waiting for from the Star Wars universe I'll definitely read it along with all those that follows.  Again, I'm very excited about the new movies and I'll get past the demise of the EU as I know it and I know I'll enjoy what follows in it's footsteps.  But it is hard to say good bye to something I've known for almost 20 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment