Saturday, July 2, 2022

1986 Topps Baseball

1986 Topps:  This pack I picked up last year.  These older packs can really be fun.  That said when I'm leading off with Ted Power it probably didn't go as I hoped.  And nothing against Power, who played 13 seasons, but you're probably hoping for a bit more.
I remember all these guys.  I was around 17 during this time and picked up all the cards I could.  I didn't like this design, but it didn't stop me back then.
Not much to say about these guys.  I don't have any antidotes or real memories.  Sorry.
We do have a team checklist on the back of Frey's card which gives us a good snapshot of the team.  Some Hall of Famers and personal favorites of mine.  I'm a big fan of Eck and Gary Matthews.  Plenty of other stars though including Ryno, Ron Cey, Davey Lopes, Lee Smith, Shawon Dunston and other really solid players.  

You may be saying Ray Knight should be the highlight of this pack.  I just couldn't do it.  He and the Mets took down the Red Sox in the classic '86 World Series which just killed us Red Sox fans at the time.  So he'll get shown but at the tail end of this pack.

BREAKDOWN:
15 – Total Cards
1 – Manager



 

7 comments:

  1. Nancy Lopez's husband.
    I remember Forster from watching Braves games on TBS.
    Al Holland waved to me after a Phillies game at Candlestick. He'd been warming up in the bullpen, but no need. The Phillies were too good.
    Sandberg was a Phillies cast-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgot about Ray Knight being married to Nancy Lopez. One of the few lady golfers I could ever name. Yes a Phillies cast off. lol

      Delete
  2. Aase is an interesting last name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although this my not be as star studded as some collectors may like... at least it contained a bunch of recognizable names. Out of the eleven cards you showed off, I knew ten of them. Sorry Manny Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I knew them all but just short on memories for them. Still so fun.

      Delete
  4. I've always thought what would have happened if I started collecting in 1986 or 1988 instead of 1987. I'm not a fan of the 86 or 88 design, so I wonder if I would have stopped during those years. Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete