Monday, July 4, 2022

Random Wax: 1988 Fleer (3 Packs)

1988 Fleer:  Happy 4th of July!  We're going all Red, White and Blue with greatness that is 1988 Fleer - an all-time favorite of mine.  This is my second post of packs from this box I picked up in the fall.  This could have been Brett's look during the infamous pine tar incident.
Three great slugging lefties here.  Watching a 30 for 30 on the Mets from that era I actually came to not hate some of the Mets players as much as I do.  I shiver saying that but like many players after their career and maybe a bit more mature it is fun to see them talk about the behind the scenes stuff.  They're more honest, not completely honest I'm sure, but you get more out of them than you would back in the day.
The stickers are a big part of the fun here.  These are great.
The back of the Red Sox sticker which is even more cool.  Fleer nailed it.  They didn't just give us a blank backside but gave us something we can enjoy.
I have always loved that Fleer grouped players in the set by team.  And they ordered them in the order of how teams did so the Twins were the first cards since they won the World Series in 1987.
Speaking of Minnesota, though Carlton didn't get a ring.  He was picked up mid season and appeared in only nine games.  Could have just as easily kicked off this post with Rickey as he is a favorite of mine but maybe I wasn't in the mood to go with a Yankee.  Some great cards and great fun.  Have a safe and fun day!


BREAKDOWN:
45 – Total Cards (3 Packs)
3 - Stickers
1 – Checklist


12 comments:

  1. Love the Fenway back on that sticker! And that's a great looking Rickey. Shame he's representing the NYY on that card :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a team collector, I have always liked it too how Fleer would group their cards by team. I also enjoyed seeing what Fleer would put on the backs of the stickers each year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rickey never looks right as a Yankee.

    ReplyDelete