Friday, September 6, 2024

Random Wax: 1991 Fleer Baseball (4 Packs)

1991 Fleer: Dennis Eckersley was such a dynamic player.  To become a closer, DOMINANT closer at age 32 and after being a good starter for the first 12 seasons of his career.  Crazy.  He was fun to watch and such a great closer.
Bob Welch won 211 games with a career 3.47 ERA.  The man could pitch.  Maddux wasn't a slouch either.
Who had more hits amongst these three?  Gary Gaetti (2280) over both Marquis (2251) and Tino (1925).  My money would have been on Tino and then Marquis.
Fleer sticker greatness.  I really enjoy the Top 10 All-Time Stat leaders on the back as well.
I like the Lance Parrish photo and the Kirk Gibson photo is good too.  Feels weird seeing Franco fielding.
Team Leaders cards are a nice opportunity to seem more of the game's greats.
So many stats to enjoy.  Welch's 27 wins and Eck's crazy amazing 1990 stand out for sure.  The muted colors on the backs of the cards always perplexed me.  I'm sure it saved money or something but it was odd.
I'm a Langston guy so I couldn't pass him up.  Also a big Kirby guy though I had to forgive him for what he did to the Braves in the World Series first so it took me some time to come around.
BREAKDOWN:
60 – Total Cards
4 – Stickers
1 – Checklist
1 – Superstar Specials




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Some of the fun things you dig into doing this stuff.

      Delete
  2. I'll never forgive Parrish for signing that big contract with the Phillies then stinking.

    Voting for Maddux at Wrigley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really didn't do anything for Philly did he.

      Delete