Tuesday, September 17, 2024

2023-2024 Topps Chrome Basketball Hanger Box

23-24 Topps Chrome:  Topps jumps back into the basketball card game with Topps Chrome.  We'll kick it off with Paul George who's taken his game to Philly.  Health, including George's, will be key to any success that team has.
The design isn't bad.  Simple but I like the basketball and the player position.  Obviously not having the team logos is big and very distracting.
My parallels came in the form of this Green Topps Refractor (Strawther) and Orange Basketball Refractor (Robbins).  I prefer the Orange Basketball but I like seeing "Topps" highlighted in the background of the Green Topps Refractor.
Very simplistic but affective.  It is missing blocks per game but I'll take seeing career stats any day.
Both of these are fine with me.   The Grant Williams inclusion is unexpected.  The top left and bottom right of Film Study has a weird space that looks like scotch tape.  Maybe that's what it is supposed to be.
Photos like Gordon's make it look like they are wearing practice jerseys.
We get retired greats and career stats for each!  Including my favorite all-time player in Nique.
Drexler is another fun pickup.  Two for two in pulling retired greats from my teams.  Jason Williams seems to be a fan favorite, but I have to admit, while I knew he was good, I was never thought he was as good as he probably was.  I know I didn't get to see him play much back in the day which probably helped shape my thoughts then.  Fun box.  I won't pick up more.  I think.  Wemby rookies are the big draw to 23-24 basketball, so I'll never say never. 

BREAKDOWN:
20 – Total Cards
6 – RC
4 – Retired Greats
1 – Film Study
1 – Sudden Impact
1 – Green Topps Refractor
1 – Orange Basketball Refractor



4 comments:

  1. Never been a big hoops guy, but the design looks cheesy without logos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tough to look at without them. Only a few more year(s) and they'll have the NBA logos since Fanatics bought Topps.

      Delete
  2. Yeah... lack of logos hurts this product. But I gotta say the Dominique card isn't too bad. The ball disguises the missing logo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stood out to me as well. Happy it worked out that way for my guy.

      Delete