Sunday, September 29, 2024

2024 Score Football Blaster

2024 Score: My first look at this year's Score offering.  I'll kick it off with Doug Williams, an all-time favorite of mine.  he shows off that classic throwing motion of his.  He won a Super Bowl and was the Super Bowl MVP for Washington when they beat Denver in Super Bowl XXII.  He only started two games that season, and lost both, but started and won three games in the playoffs including a dominant Super Bowl win.
This year's design is a take on 1990 Score football.  The minor tweaks including the team helmet and white borders make a big difference.  Those borders could be a bit smaller to me but overall, I like the cards.
Plenty of rookie representation in the set.  Jayden Daniels had a breakout game against Cincy Monday night.  It was fun to watch and some of his throws were crazy good.  Worthy has done well early in KC and Michigan alum J.J. McCarthy is out this season with an injury.
I like the Protential inserts, and that throwback look to them.
Sack Attack inserts are back, as is Khalil Mack who had 17 sacks last season.  I like these and how they highlight defensive greats.
Love the retired greats in this set. Some great quarterback representation here.  I like the base card checklist which is in order by city name, and the retired greats for each team are the last cards within the team's players.  So easy to find.  These just hit our local shelves this week and I couldn't resist one of the staples of the football card world.
These League Leader inserts have a fun feel to them.  I like the "bright" design.  At first I thought they had randomly put the Texans' logo behind Mike Evans.  Obviously, the photo was taken during a game in Houston.
First Ballot is another insert I look forward to.  We get to see more retired greats and I like that Hall of Fame logo worked into the design.
What greater celebration is there than winning the Super Bowl?
Very similar to the original 1990 card backs and these look really good.  Here we have a veteran, rookie and retired great.
A couple of the parallels.  Green and an Electric Parallel #/99.
Yeah, I enjoy the retired greats.  You get 132 cards in blasters which is great.  There are 400 base cards in the set and the variety with inserts feels pretty good.  Though I wouldn't complain about a few more inserts.
Seen this one a few times.  Josh Allen and the Bills have had a good start to the season.  They aren't as pass dominant and shown they can really run the ball at times.  Allen has seven touchdowns and no interceptions while completing 75% of his passes through three games.
Fun start to 2024 Score.  I'm happy with my pull and these cards feel fun to me.  There'll definitely be more as time goes on.
BREAKDOWN:
132 – Total Cards
41 – RC
22 – Retired Greats
6 – potential
5 - Celebration
5 – Green Parallel
4 – League Leaders
3 – Sack Attack
2 - 35th Anniversary Rookie
1 – Electric Parallel #/99



 

10 comments:

  1. I like the classic design. Good looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the look of these cards. Wow! What a great looking product. I had a chance to get a blaster last night and now I am wishing I had bought one. Here's hoping there are some left when I get to that store again. I really those First Ballot inserts; may have to build that set for my Hall of Fame collection. The Jerome Bettis one and Marvin Harrison Jr Protential insert are my favorites you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thos HoF cards are pretty cool. Bettis will be in your stack.

      Delete
  3. Great looking photo of Doug Williams. Pretty cool that Panini chose to add him to the checklist after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his inclusion as well. They have so many retired great options.

      Delete
  4. Voting for AJ. He needs to get healthy though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm a Mahomes fan and I do like it as well. Glad they had the Super Bowl celebration there. It is the only way to go with Patrick Mahomes.

      Delete