Sunday, September 15, 2024

1996 Donruss Football 5 Packs

1996 Donruss:  These packs were a recent eBay purchase.  Jerry Rice is the GOAT receiver, right?  And until Tom Brady came along you could have had him as the GOAT, period.  No matter what you think this guy is nothing short of great.  Watched him shred so many teams in the day.
I like this design.  I think the logo and lettering could maybe do better in one of the corners but really it probably doesn't matter.  The player's name at the top feels different but it isn't so obtrusive that I'm concerned about it.  It's a bit muted and it could be bolder in its colors.  Photos are pretty good too.
The backs are a win for me.  We see all of the player's stats, a brand-new photo and even a bit of a write-up.  Solid for sure.
I'm really happy with my rookie pull which was highlighted by these three.  None are in the Hall of Fame but there are 13 Pro Bowl and 5 All-Pro selections amongst them with Mike Alstott being the most decorated.
I'm a big fan of the creamsicle unis as well as Alstott.  These backs are another win.
Three really good receivers all wearing number 81 on their jerseys.  Tony Martin led this group with 593 career receptions, just over 9,000 yards, and 56 touchdowns.
Checklist cards are sweet.  More greats of the games, some stats and on the back is a second photo of the player in black and white with the checklist printed over it.
Selected #1 overall out of Penn State, Ki-Jana Carter injured his knee in the first preseason game prior to his rookie season.  I would have loved to see what he could have done if he hadn't been injured.  He rushed for 1100 yards in his career.
I've been looking for some older football and I enjoyed these cards which I'd never seen before.  These were only $16 shipped and I'm on the hunt for some more cards from years past.  
Greatness.  'nuff said.
We get to see those great Rams unis on a nice Jerome Bettis (HOF) card.  As you can see, this was the year he was traded to Pittsburgh.  Brent Jones would make the Pro Bowl four times while winning three championships with the 49ers.  Mark Carrier was a stud too.
I was always a fan of those Cowboys unis.

I still can't believe how good my pull was in these packs.  The set is 240 cards so it's not small.  This was so much fun.  Can't wait to find some more fun cards to show off.  We'll end it with my all-time favorite player, John Elway, who somehow was never named an All-Pro.  A big part of that is the crazy good quarterbacks of the era, but still.

BREAKDOWN:
50 – Total Cards
6 – Rookie
2 – Checklist
1 – Rated Rookie

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen these...such cool cards! Feel a bit like the baseball counterparts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with them as well. I get lucky sometimes on these eBay buys.

      Delete
  2. Those are some great looking cards! I have to go with the Jerome Bettis and Kordell Stewart cards as my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has a solid design... and some of the photography is fantastic. The Rice is a great looking card and the perfect way to kick off this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked that look of determination on his face.

      Delete