Thursday, September 3, 2020

2001-2002 Upper Deck Basketball Series II

 

2001-2002 Upper Deck Basketball:  Another pack from the Amazon pack lot purchase.  If you look at these and think you were looking at 1990-1991 Upper Deck you aren't the only one.  They are very similar.  Since I'm a fan of the 90-91 design I'm OK with that.  I always liked Andrei Kirilenko (AK-47) but overall this pack won't wow most folks.
A Pau Gasol rookie?  Not something you'll see every day.  I've never seen this card before and it was a fun pull.  Gasol was a 6X All-Star, 4X All-NBA, 2X NBA Champ, member of the All-Rookie Team and was Rookie of the Year.  Outstanding career.  Stephen Jackson won a championship with the Spurs in his third year in the league.  I did not know that.  He went on to a long productive career but will always be remembered for Malice in the Palace where he went into the stands and fought with fans.
Sam Mitchell was a guy I always liked.  A role player he was just a guy who stuck with me.
The designs are overall good.  Again it steals from past designs but if it works it works.
The backs have a subdued photo different from the front.  Being Series II we are able to get photos of rookies in game action.  The was a fun pack.  The Gasol rookie is sweet and all the players bring back memories.  

BREAKDOWN:
8 - Total Cards


6 comments:

  1. Never saw this set. I like it. Nice design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one you rarely see anyone busting.

      Delete
  2. Sam Mitchell hung around for a long time, longer than I think most fans remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on pulling the Gasol rookie card. Only really tracked him during his years with the Lakers... but he definitely was a key reason Kobe was able to get two more rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a good career before LA but he really wasn't on my radar either. And you are right. He was key to their success.

      Delete