Sunday, November 19, 2017

1990 Fleer Stars 'n Stripes Football

I'm a big fan of all-star game cards so when I ran across these 1990 Fleer Stars 'n Stripes football cards I was excited.  I had never heard of this set before.  I actually thought the Pro Bowl cards were an insert set.  Picked up the set on eBay and I was surprised this set is dedicated to the Pro Bowl with the first 80 cards being Pro Bowlers and the last ten being rookies.  And they hit every player from the game with in game photos for probably 90% of the photos.  Very cool stuff. 
I'm not sure the design is something I'd normally go for but I still like the cards.  Actual photos from the game itself are the big draw for me while it is also packed with plenty of stars.  Not every photo is a homerun but considering they had just one game to get all the photos they did well.  
  I always like the helmets on the front of cards and combined with the name and position the fronts cover the important ino.  Not sure bout the barber shop borders or the Stars 'n Stripes logo but the are growing on me.
The backs are similar from what we've seen from Fleer football so no surprises.  The write-ups are topical and relevant while and additional head shot is added on the back.  I think the Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Howie Long, Lawrence Taylor, and Dave Krieg cards are my favorite.  Fun find and I'm excited to share these cool cards.

4 comments:

  1. Did your set come with candy canes too? Love the Krieg. One of my favorite players back in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should have. 'tis the season. Krieg was a guy you couldn't not like. I always liked him too. Wish he had caught a break somewhere and played on a better team instead of always being the "stand-in" guy for the next starter.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember this set from back in the day. Howie Long...still going strong in the booth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howie was a beast though I didn't appreciate him enough at the time. I am definitely a fan now.

      Delete