Tuesday, July 4, 2023

2023 Donruss Baseball

2023 Donruss:  The 4th of July is a great time for some new baseball.  I held off buying this as Panini baseball isn't a favorite of mine.  Found a pack so I went for it and was surprised at what was inside.  I'd forgotten Panini no longer held a licence with the MLBPA.  So no current players.  All good if you're all about retired greats and youngsters still in the minors.  We'll kick it off with Phil Niekro on the base design.  Love Knucksie and I miss the knuckleball in baseball.
Over half the pack are retired greats which was a win for me.  The "no logo" thing is still very annoying which means I might go after singles but won't chase more of this otherwise.  Here we have a Holo Blue and Holo Orange parallel. Bench is always a strong pull.
Plenty of youngsters.  I don't think I've heard of any of them though.
I like this design more here than I do with NASCAR.  Not sure why but I'm good with the it and the art look.
No Rated Rookies.  Rated Prospects now.  I get it.  Not sure how they determine who is a Rated Prospect as opposed to other players.
I do love 1990 Donruss so this works for me.  The Dom DiMaggio is a Holo Red parallel #/2023.  I like the all red borders look more but I'm still good with these overall.  Not sure why they didn't go all red borders with all the retro '90 cards.
Wasn't what I was expecting but I'm good with this I think.  Again it doesn't mean I'll go looking for more.  Was excited to see john Smoltz here but that Holo Orange combined with the red is a bit of a bummer.  Have a happy and safe 4th of July!

BREAKDOWN:
30 – Total Cards
18 – Retired Greats
6 – Rated Prospect
5 – Retro 1990
3 – Diamond Kings
3 – Holo Orange Parallel
1 – Elite Series
1 – Holo Blue Parallel
1 – Holo Red Parallel #/2023


8 comments:

  1. Haven't seen much of this due to the MLBPA issues, so appreciate seeing all the images of the product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this pack! I have not opened any of this product because of being skeptical about it. I have seen some posted in other forms of social media. I do like the Diamond Kings and may try to collect them if I decide to open the product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely some individual cards worth going after.

      Delete
  3. Man, I'm so out of the loop. I didn't know they lost the MLBPA license. Nice to see the old school cats, though👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. There's even a Ben Sheets in the set. Never thought I'd see him in new sets.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for showing off the cards! Happy birthday USA!

    ReplyDelete