Sunday, July 2, 2023

2023 Donruss NASCAR Hobby Box with Auto

2023 NASCAR Donruss:  Been looking forward to this box and we'll kick it off with one of the sport's best, Kyle Larson, on this base design.  He was the 2021 Champion.
I'm a big fan of 1990 Donruss so I'm happy to see the nod to that design here.  There are variations where the red border goes all around the card.  Would have enjoyed pulling those.  As is I'm good with this though I'd like to see the car number.  They've done this in the past and it gives just that little bit extra to the cards.  Love Austin Dillon's hat here.
My hits included this Marvels (SP) Hailie Deegan and Ross Chastain Monikers autograph.  I'm a fan of the Marvels cards which you can find in Donruss across the other sports as well.  I also like Deegan so this was a win.  Chastain is still young driver at the Cup level and is a bit polarizing.  That said he is good.  He finished 2nd in the final standings last year and is top 5 this year.
I always enjoy seeing the driver's cars.  This is how you see them the majority of the time and they are so associated with their sponsors and cars.  Chase is a fan favorite and one of my favorite drivers.
Power Squad!, Metal Masters, and Unleashed inserts.  I really like Metal Masters.  Those colors work for me.  Unleashed is cool too but I wish they had mixed up the background just a bit for each driver even if it was just moving animals around. 
I'm a big "Kings"/"Queens" fan in the different Donruss offerings and pulled 24 in this box.  The design isn't bad but they went with the blue color scheme with every driver.  Wish they could have mixed it up some depending on the driver's sponsor colors.  It is NASCAR's 75th anniversary this season so I get the idea of going with the diamond which is part of the anniversary logo.  Though it has red, blue and yellow and would have looked sharp in the background.
Cool looking cards.  Lots of color and a fun way of showing off the cars again.
Red, Blue and Purple parallels numbered to 299, 199, and 49 respectively.  Kyle Busch is my favorite driver in the sport today.  Josh Berry has just been announced as the new driver in the #4 car after Kevin Harvick retires the end of this year.
More base cards including a Silver parallel and retired great in Tony Stewart.  The base card design isn't a favorite of mine but I don't necessarily look at it negatively.
I like seeing both the car and driver on these cards.
More 1990 goodness. Bubba is the third of the drivers I follow in the sport.  Toni Breidinger is new to me and has three races in the Truck Series.  She is full time in the ARCA series right now.  I like seeing more women getting their chance in the sport.
Love seeing retired greats in the sport.  The King, Richard Petty, has the most wins all-time in the sport while Dale Jr. was an extremely popular driver and son of Dale Earnhardt Sr., and Jeff Gordon is an all-time great and was just recently added back to cardboard.  Win.
One of the two Race Day relics I pulled.  A little boring but okay.
You'll get one optic card in each pack for a total of 24.  This was a fun box.  Lots of variety and good looking cards while I pulled plenty of drivers from across the sport.  I'm disappointed there'll be no NASCAR Chronicles this year so this will probably be my go-to NASCAR product and I'll show off more of the cards from this box in two additional posts over time.  
BREAKDOWN:
192 –Total Cards
60 – 1990 Donruss
34 – Retired Greats
24 – Optic
23 –Race Kings
15 – Silver Parallel
8 – Cars (Basic)
6 – Elite Series
6 – Rated Rookie
4 – Unleashed
4 – Under the Lights
3 – Royalty
3 – Metal Masters
3 – Red Parallel #/299
2 – Revved Up
2 – Power Squad
2 – Race Day Relic
2 – Green Parallel #/99
2 – Navy Blue Parallel #/199
2 – Holographic Parallel #/199
1 – Marvels
1 – Monikers Auto
1 – Red Parallel #/250
1 – Purple Parallel #/49




6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And great timing with him getting the win. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Richard Petty refuses to age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He turned 86 today and it feels like he is much older. He's still very active.

      Delete
  3. Great looking cards! I am hoping to come across some of these cards at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't seen any in the wild yet but I seem to only find them at Target nowadays.

      Delete