Friday, July 28, 2023

Random Wax: 2022 Topps Baseball Archives Blaster

2022 Archives:  We'll kick off this blaster for a nice-looking Mike Schmidt card.  Many consider him the best third baseman of all time.  I don't think I'd put up much of an argument with them.
Really good pull in this box.  Here we have the '63 design. Not my favorite look but I'm good with it.
This '78 design is pretty nice and has more players like Trout and Altuve who are always good pulls.
The Astros would go on to win the 2022 World Series so these '87 cards are appropriate to share.  Jeremy Pena hasn't lived up to his playoff exploits but it was still fun.
One of the Big Foil inserts.
Wander Franco is another guy still figuring it out.  He's only 22 so there's still time.
The back of the Postcard insert for Joey Votto.  Twenty-five home runs in 230 at bats?  Wow.
Of course the retired greats are a huge draw to this set.
Greatness.
This was a fun box.  You get the variety that comes with Archives, great players and fun designs from the past.

BREAKDOWN:
56 – Total Cards
18 – 1987
17 – 1978
17 – 1963
16 – RC
15 – Retired Greats
3 – Big Foil
1 – Postcard
1 - 1961 Topps MVP
1 – 1955 Topps Scoop
1 - 1992 Topps Major League Debut



9 comments:

  1. Great assortment of cards! Anytime you can pull legends with a living legend in Ohtani, you are doing well. What does the Votto insert look like? I am seriously thinking of starting a player collection of Votto since I pull many of his cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a mini Votto collection. I'll have to see if I can dig out this insert.

      Delete
  2. I really haven't seen much of this set in dime boxes and such. In past years I would see a lot of Archives. The other day I was sorting through some recent pickups and came across the Biggio from this set and had a real moment of "What the heck is THIS?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The designs can throw you off with no context. I've always enjoyed these for the variety.

      Delete
  3. Schmidt wins it, even though it's post-retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I like both photos. The headshot looks like he could have just come off the field.

      Delete
  5. Bummer that they don't have complete stats on the back. Thanks for showing off the cards!

    ReplyDelete