Sunday, June 2, 2024

Godzilla Minus One (2023)

Godzilla Minus One:  This one just hit Netflix and I watched it yesterday.  It's gotten really good reviews and I've been looking forward to it.  I'm a big fan of Godzilla, King Kong and that universe.  Godzilla Minus One is not in that Godzilla - King Kong universe that is ongoing in the states but more along the lines of the classic Godzilla.  

I almost didn't do a post.  I don't like to beat up on movies so I'm telling you to trust the reviews and not me.  But I love the genre and still wanted to say something.  This one just didn't hit the mark with me.  On like any level.  Special effects, dialogue, pacing, story. I'm not saying it isn't a good movie.  I just expected something different.  Godzilla doesn't take center stage here.  The characters and their storyline do.  I went back and read reviews to see what I missed, and folks are just gaga over Godzilla Minus One and a big part of the reason is the story.  So don't take my word for it - listen to others and watch this one.  And tell me what you thought of Godzilla Minus One.  

4 comments:

  1. I really wanted to see this movie in the theaters, but I'm stoked to hear that it's arrived on Netflix. I just hope I like it more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I talked to folks today and they enjoyed it. Hopefully you do as well. Seems to be just me.

      Delete
  2. We just watched Godzilla x Kong at work last week and then Minus One was put on Netflix over the weekend so I got to see it a few days ago. Godzilla x Kong was silly fun..you want the humans out of the way so you can see the special effects. I enjoyed Minus One. The human story is simplistic (i.e. not technobable) and the special effects were way better than I thought it would be, given the small $15M budget. We'll be watching the Black & White version when Netflix gets it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I need to give this one a second chance. Maybe the black and white version.

      Delete