Sunday, June 23, 2024

M*A*S*H (1970)

 I watched M*A*S*H this weekend.  The passing of Donald Sutherland made me think of the source material for one of the greatest television shows of all-time.  I like the movie but it has been some time since I watched it.  The movie can be very crass at times, but it's also lots of fun.  There's a great cast including Sutherland, Elliott Gould, Tom Skerritt, Sally Kellerman, and Robert Duvall amongst others.  There are plenty of differences between the movie and the series but they don't take away from the movie.  The only thing that had me wondering is how Margaret really goes from one extreme to the other halfway through the movie.  But again, the movie is funny.  I don't think MASH is a dark comedy but the comedy comes at the expense of the others.  The movie may not be for everyone, but it is a good R-rated version of the TV show.  A fun watch taking me back in time.



4 comments:

  1. RIP Donald Sutherland. Great actor, and loved him as Hawkeye.

    To celebrate him, I watched him as Oddball in Kelly's Heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly's Heroes is a great movie. Pop and I were talking about it on Saturday. He is also a big fan of the theme song from the movie.

      Delete
  2. Not sure I ever saw the movie... but my family watched the tv show regularly back when I was a kid. The show itself doesn't stand out to me like Happy Days, Battlestar Galactica, Three's company, and other shows from my childhood. But I know that it was super popular. Maybe I'll go back and watch a few episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably my favorite TV series all-time. It was on cable a lot as a kid so it was ingrained in me. I also think it has aged fairly well.

      Delete