Tuesday, October 16, 2018

October Trade Post #3 - Basketball

With the NBA starting today it is a perfect time to look at the NBA cards that Chris Sutherland from the blog, The Collector, sent me as a part of our trade this month.  Chris really knocked it out of the park with the basketball cards as they were chock full of my personal favorites.  I know this takes a great deal of effort and it is much appreciated.  This Detlef Schrempf card is my favorite of the bunch.  Just something about the look on his face, the colors on his warm ups and that flat top.
 Some favorite big men of mine.  I love Arvydas Sabonis and truly believe that if he had come to the NBA at a younger age his career would have been one we talk about a lot more.  I've never seen those SkyBox Premium cards before.  This one combines three of my favorite elements - Timmy Duncan, all-star uni /card and the photo actually being from the all-star game.  Hakeem also has the same greatness on this card which was a gold parallel.  I'm digging 'em.
More favorite players of mine.  Almost all of what I received are cards I don't have which is a great bonus.  Some are either sets from times when I wasn't collecting or just sets I didn't have the chance to collect.  
 I definitely collect some guys that others don't.  Spud Webb isn't that unique I'm sure but this is a great card and I believe the photo is from the slam dunk competition he won against Dominique Wilkins in 1986.  Truth be told Dominique was better in the contest but I won't lose any sleep with Webb taking home the trophy.  Trent Tucker and Eddie Johnson are two of those top ten all-time guys for me.
A few of my favorite current players from the league.  I hated seeing Kawhi Leonard leave the Spurs.  I really like Aaron Gordon and am hoping he can keep making strides in his game after signing a max deal to remain with Orlando this year.  King James - nuff said.  This was just a small representation of the basketball cards Chris sent me and I couldn't be happier.

8 comments:

  1. It was fun digging through your want list and finding players I actually had in my collection, since my basketball card collection is almost entirely base and low-end inserts. There was one that featured two players you collect-Terry Cummings was defending Detlef Schrempf if I remember right. (perhaps you had that one already?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have that one. Should have scanned it in as well. There were so many cards I didn't have. It really was fun going through them.

      Delete
  2. If Arvydas had come over right after he was drafted, the Blazers would have won multiple titles, and he most certainly would've been talked about more after his career was over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many what ifs. The Blazers would have been soooo good.

      Delete
  3. All good stuff here! I recently found the variation of the Spud Webb card in my duplicates box that sat untouched since 2003. Score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats. I love unexpected surprises like that. Lots of fun!

      Delete
  4. That 89/90 Hoops Spud Webb is fantastic. Seeing that card actually makes me miss collecting basketball a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basketball is maybe my favorite sport to collect but I can waffle on that at times. I've always been a huge NBA fan so it is especially fun when I can see some of my favorites from my early fandom.

      Delete