Friday, June 16, 2023

Random Wax: 1990 Donruss Baseball (3 Packs)

1990 Donruss;  This Bo Jackson card is great.  I love the '90 Donruss design and this is a classic photo of his batting stance.  And Bo was so much fun.
Wow these guys.  To have them on your staff meant you had a legit #1 and great player in the league.  Dave Stewart is an all-time favorite of mine.  Fernando and Orel turned in some of the best seasons ever for pitchers.
I love the classic Diamond Kings designs and these are fun.  Not the biggest names on the list but no complaints here.
Another Orel sighting.  Bobby Bo is still getting paid by the Mets I think.  Steve Sax was such a solid second baseman.  That might undersell his value even.
Ellis Burks is another favorite of mine.  Such a good player and did well no matter where he played.  Another one of those guys who had injuries steal away some of his potential.  Still he finished with over 2100 hits in his 18 year career.
Steve Avery was apart of that '95 Wold Series Championship for the Atlanta Braves.  Will never forget what he did for the Bravos.  Ventura of course went on to an excellent career winning 6X gold gloves and was a 2X All-Star.  
You didn't get all the stats on the back of a Donruss card but they did have some nice highlights to read about. And George Brett.  Royals great and pine tar affienado.  'Nuff said.


BREAKDOWN:
45 – Total Cards (3 Packs)
3 – Puzzle
3 – MVP
3 – Diamond Kings
2 – Rated Rookie


8 comments:

  1. Always loved pulling a Rated Rookie back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. We thought we'd won the lottery! LOL

      Delete
  2. That is a great Bo Jackson pose.

    You said it right after I thought it...those were definitely not big names in the Diamond Kings that year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diamond Kings could be a bit spotty at times in terms of who they had.

      Delete
  3. Don't remember the post... but that's where I discovered just how solid of career Burks had. As for this set... never been a fan. However... had they zoomed out on their action shots a little bit more, I'd probably enjoy it a tad bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone. Can be a bit too much with the red. I get it. Just one I really like.

      Delete
  4. I remember not being a Diamond Kings fan back then, probably because I was just starting out and preferred real photos on my cards than drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always like art so it was a bit different for me and I keyed in on the Diamond Kings pretty quickly as some I liked.

      Delete