Friday, November 2, 2018

1988 Donruss Baseball Hobby Box

This box of 1988 Donruss baseball was another I picked up at the card show this month.  I had already picked out the Upper Deck box and while I wasn't initially sure what other cheap box I should grab this was a great selection.  I actually picked it because Dale Murphy was the face of this set on the box and promotional materials.  Having just gotten Murph's autograph a few minutes earlier this was a natural choice.  This is a solid design for me and I like the colors.  This was a fun box to open.  Plenty of cards, stars and young future stars at the start of their careers.   The Bo Jackson card is my favorite with a nice shot of him early in the act batting. 
The early Donruss Diamond Kings are big favorites of mine with the Perez-Steele art.
Three of my favorite cards from this set.
Three future greats as well as key members of the Atlanta Braves' 1995 World Series team.
Some of my all-time favorite players.  
Cards of some of the stars of the time and some of my faves.
MVP cards were included in this set, including the aforementioned Dale Murphy.  Glad they were able to find Roberto Alomar's mug shut for his Rated Rookie card.  Just saying.  The puzzle for this year was St. Louis great Stan Musial.  I did pull a complete puzzle (63 puzzle pieces).

BREAKDOWN:
540 – Total Cards
36 – Stan Musial Puzzle Cards
22 – Diamond Kings (1 – Checklist)
17 – Rated Rookie
13 – MVP
5 – Checklist
1 – Stan Musial Card
1 – Ripken Baseball Family

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you were able to pull a complete Musial puzzle. That's probably my favorite thing about 1988 Donruss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the puzzles as well. Actually got the Hank Aaron puzzle signed by Hank himself. Unfortunately I wasn't there in person to get it signed but still it is a nice piece for me.

      Delete
  2. Awesome. I spend a ton of money on that set back in the day. It was hard to follow the 1987 Donruss Set though. Some great cards for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a fun set for me. I've never opened this much before that made it enjoyable getting to see so many cards. The '87 set was a good one. I'd hate to be put on the spot to say which one I liked best.

      Delete
  3. I like the design, the colors and really like this set. I'm glad that these cards are still really cheap as I figure it won't set me back much when I finally get around to inventorying my cards and completing this set.

    ReplyDelete