Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The Game by Ken Dryden

The Game by Ken Dryden is widely considered the best hockey book of all-time as well as one of the greatest sports books of all time.  I'd seen the book come up over and over on those lists and when the 30th anniversary edition was released I jumped on it.  First and foremost it really is a good book.  I get why it's at the top or near the top of all those lists.  That said Ken Dryden is a mega smart dude and it shows in his writing.  For me while it was a fun read it was a tough read.  He puts a lot of thought into the different situations and those thoughts are put on paper.  I think hockey fans would really enjoy this book but the more casual fan like myself may would like the book but maybe not get the same enjoyment out of it.  Again this book is very well written and I think it deserves all the accolades it gets.  
By the way Ken Dryden is a six-time Stanley Cup Champion as a goaltender for the Montreal Canadians.  He's a member of the Hall of Fame as well as multiple NHL award winner.  His off the ice accomplishments are too numerous to go into but he was just as accomplished in his non-sporting life.  Tonight the 2019-2020 NHL season kicks off what better way to kick off the season that revisiting Brett Hull's rendition of Gloria at the St. Louis Blues' championship parade. 
   

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I picked this one up about 3 months ago but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe next on my list when I get through the new Stephen King book I'm entrenched in. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be curious as to what you think when you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read enough books to justify grabbing a copy... unless I found it for a buck at the flea market or something. But I've gotta say... that mask of his is awesome!

    ReplyDelete