Monday, January 21, 2019

Area 40 Megabreak - Autos and Relics

Wes Moore over at the Area 40 blog did a megabreak over the holidays to go out with a bang as he steps back from blogging and to some extent the hobby.  First and foremost thanks to Wes for putting this on.  He blessed others with free cards while doing a massive break of tons of sports and non-sport boxes.  His fingers had to be hurting after opening all those packs.  If you weren't involved I encourage you to go to his blog just to look at all the autos and relics pulled as well as all the boxes he opened.  There were some great pulls.  I claimed the Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta Falcons and a random non-sport slot.  I received four cards.  The first is this Frances Conroy American Horror Asylum autograph from the 2016 set.  I haven't seen the show nor was I familiar with Frances Conroy.  She has done well for her career to include winning a Golden Globe Award (Six Feet Under) and multiple Screen Actor Guild Awards.  I know the show is highly regarded and my daughter is a big fan and she thought the card is pretty cool.  I love the card.  It's a cool auto and I'd like to know what is behind the drawing under her name.  There are auto variations of this card where she signed in red as well as different inscriptions.  This is definitely my favorite of those I received.  
This is a cool relic from the 2011 Topps American Pie setVincent Pastore has been around for a long time and is mostly known for playing the gangster type and was a part of the hit series The Sopranos.


I know the big names from tennis but Jill Craybas is one I'm not familiar with.  This on card autograph is from the 2008 Ace Authentic Match Point set.  I think it is possibly a blue parallel.  Craybas won one singles tournament in her career and upset Serena Williams in 2005.  I'm not a tennis guy but enjoy cards like this as I got to find her backstory which was fun.  
 This Josh Childress Ultimate Rookie Jerseys relic #/75 is from the 2004-2005 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection.  Childress was a wing who averaged 11 points and over 5 boards with Atlanta before going overseas for two years.  Atlanta offered him a good contract but he was able to make more overseas at the time so he left.  After returning he didn't have the same success and only played four more uneventful seasons. Still he was a good player with Atlanta and I'd always wished they had been able to resign him.  

2 comments:

  1. Haven't watched American Horror Story yet, but I've heard good things. It's been a few years since I sat down and watched the Sopranos. But damn... that was a great show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American Horror Story is one I'd like to catch up on.

      Delete