Saturday, March 15, 2014

2014 Topps Heritage


Walked into our Wal-Mart this morning and they had some new cards to include the 2014 Topps Heritage rack packs containing 20 cards.  I've never been a huge fan of the heritage cards. This goes against my motto "love the retro" but the 2014 cards didn't do anything to change my mind.  Don't get me wrong.  I think Topps did a good job recreating the 1965 look.  It just isn't for me.  The one card I did like was the Jose Altuve card.  The orange uni with the blue had looked sharp and I didn't mind the dugout shot.  The Latos card was funny if nothing else.  I also liked the alternate white Mets had Matt Harvey is wearing. 
 
I think Latos just told someone to pull his finger...
While I often enjoy the older style cards I do not like the older style non-action type photos.  These are just too boring.  Maybe that isn't fair to these sets but it is something that is important to me.  The photos of the cards I pulled are all head shots from games or standing poses that look to have come from spring training.  I'll put it this way.  I won't give a card with a head shot of Ben Revere a second look but a Ben Revere diving catch is another thing.  From the reading I've done on the set there are some action shots but they are rare.  Again the overall design is fine as are the stats you find on the backs of the cards.  
 

Maybe the cards in this specific pack didn't help.  Johan Santana was the big star and there were no inserts.  Kind of a bust.  I did receive two rookie stars cards but that was it.  Looking at the checklists it does look like there is quite a bit more this set has to offer.  Beckett also has a nice write-up on the set detailing some of the highlights if you'd like to find out some more detail.  Anyone who likes the retro looking cards should pick these up.  As for me I won't buy anymore.  Again it isn't for a lack of effort on Topps' part.  The lack of action shots just doesn't do it for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment