Sunday, August 23, 2015

2015 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball Card Review

I opened a jumbo pack of the 2015 Topps Allen & Ginter baseball cards.  The cost for the pack was just under ten dollars.  The 14 cards broke down as follows - 10 base cards (4 of which were rookies), a Great Scott artificial heart card, a Starting Points card of Jacob DeGrom, and 2 minis (Addison Reed and Jacqueline Kennedy).  I enjoy the Topps Gypsy Queen offering better than the Allen & Ginter but they are distinctly different so I think folks can like one over the other or both.  These cards for the most part stick to a shot of the player's upper body.  The fronts have a nice decorative border in what I'll call a classic design that harkens back to years past.  It is in different colors that seem random in as much as they don't match the team colors.  No issues with that and I like the border.  The player's last name is at the bottom left with the Allen & Ginter and Topps logos at the bottom right.  Rookie cards had a "RC" and player logo just above the player's name.  Simple front and the photos stand out. 

The backs stick to the classic design.  "The World's Champions" is at the top followed by the player's team, card number, player name and then their statistics.  Stats are career numbers that are written out.  More player information is at the bottom including height/weight, bats/throws, acquired and born/home.  A decent back with the writing out of stats being different while not too distracting.  I would like the stats from the previous year but with this product I think it is another way of making them stand apart. 

Overall these are nice cards.  I'm not a head and shoulders guy so many times these might not appeal to me but again I like them.  I probably will only get singles from here on out but I'm glad I grabbed these cards.  This is the 10th Anniversary edition for Allen & Ginter and there are tons of inserts.  Would have loved to grab some of the autographs but as always that wasn't the case.  I don't care for the minis but that is a personal preference.  I just don't know what to do with them.  Of the two products Topps puts out in this style I definitely prefer the Gypsy Queen cards.  My review of this year's Gypsy Queen cards can be seen here.  But I do like these and others should pick them up.



No comments:

Post a Comment