Sunday, January 6, 2019

2018 Playbook Football

This is my first look at the 2018 Playbook football cards.  This is a set that isn't new but I don't remember the past sets to be honest.  In fact I originally thought they were actually some type of small playbooks instead of actual cards until I saw fellow blogger's posts.  There were 25 cards in the pack.  At first they weren't that impressive to me but these are growing on me.  The fronts have two different photos with one being a bit "muted" or more to the background.  This looks really nice and it is hard enough to get a company to put a different photo on the back of the card so getting two different photos on the front is nice.  This Antonio Brown Blitz insert was the highlight for me.  The gold and black colors are cool combined with the design.  
  It has been a while since we've seen football packs highlighted by Cleveland Browns players but maybe a new era is dawning.   Baker Mayfield highlights the X's and O's inserts I pulled and Nick Chubb was the best RC of the bunch.  This is a nice Play Action insert of DeShaun Watson.  
A nice trio of running backs from the league.  McCaffrey is having a great year combined on the ground and receiving.  Derrick Henry had a a monster game.  And Zeke has had a huge year and is currently leading the league in rushing.  That snuck up on me.  Todd Gurley III scores on every other play and gets more headlines, and deservedly so, but Elliott really has had a great season.
The backs are pretty plain but the not the worst we've seen.  I'll probably pick up more of these as I get a chance. The base design has a nice look, I like the inserts I've seen and I had a pretty nice pull.  A great way to start with a new set.
BREAKDOWN:
25 - Total Cards
10 - RC
2 - X's and O's
1 - Play Action
1 - Blitz 

6 comments:

  1. Ugh. Zeke sure did a number on my Hawks last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pulling for the Seahawks. Cowboys definitely did a job on Seattle. Still they look setup to be good again next year.

      Delete
  2. These are very cool cards, I'll have to see Target carries any of these.

    I like the Watson and Mayfield in particular. McCaffrey is a guy I've started collecting. I'm a big fan of dual-threat backs like him and Saquon. And I'd love to see the Packers trade for Brown even though he's kind of a headache. That's a neat card, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to see how the Antonio Brown situations plays out. He's a headache but one most teams would like to see lining up on their side of the ball. Him as a Packer seems just unfair to the rest of the league. We'll see what happens. McCaffrey is a guy I caught on to as well. He is SO good.

      Delete
  3. Those are some sweet looking cards. I especially like the Antonio Brown card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a great looking card. Those colors just pop.

      Delete