Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cardinals Win World Series

The St. Louis Cardinals completed a historic run to win the World Series Friday night.  The Texas Rangers on the other hand have to be disappointed as they lose their second straight World Series.   Within the last six months I've moved to Illinois, within 45 miles of St. Louis.  First it is great to be near a big city again as I'm in sports overload between the sports coverage on TV, in the papers, and on the radio.  As I'm a huge sports fan that is all a good thing.  I also work with many Cardinals fans so I've gotten to ride this wave as it has happened.  There is nothing better than being able to root for your team on the big stage and it has been fun to ride this crazy train with the local fans.  I'm happy for my buddies and for the team as it was well deserved.

Tony LaRussa as a manager is a guy who catches some grief locally for some of his moves and tendencies.  That said, three World Series trips and two World Series titles in 16 years makes it hard for any fan to beat him up too much.  I too scratched my head all year at moves he made and how he coached but through it all his team was ready to play no matter who was in the lineup. 

I love seeing guys who have been around forever get their first World Series ring and St. Louis had not shortage of those who won it all for the first time.  42 year-old Arthur Rhodes, Octavio Dotel, Rafael Furcal, and my favorite Lance Berkman were among those who had been around for many years and finally won the big one.  There was also a big contingent of those who were young and won their first ring.  Jason Motte, Jaime Garcia, hometown hero David Freese, Daniel Descalso, Jon Jay and Adron Chambers.  And then there are the guys who are at the front and center of this team - Albert Pujols, Chris Carpenter, and Yadier Molina.  These guys won their second championship in St. Louis and they were all huge in getting this team to and through the playoffs as the leaders in the clubhouse.  I know I didn't name everyone and those I've omitted all played their part.  Some smaller or bigger than the others.   

So I give props to this team and to all their fans.  Counted out in September they roared back to make the playoffs and beat the "unbeatable" Phillies, dumped the Brewers and played a great series in winning against the favored Texas Rangers.  It was fun to watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment