Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Baseball Hall of Fame Selections: John Smoltz

One of my all-time favorite Braves, John Smoltz, was elected to the hall of fame with 82% of the vote.  Smoltzy was a difficult candidate to gauge due to his dual role as a starter and a reliever.  He goes in as the only pitcher with 150 saves and 200 wins.  Like Pedro Martinez he didn't have the automatic numbers but I'll say that when I saw him I definitely thought hall of famer.  He played 21 seasons ending with a 3.33 ERA and over 3,000 strikeouts.  He was selected to eight all-star games and won one Cy Young award.  I really believed it might take a few year for Smoltz to be elected so this was a surprise.  He was a huge part of all those Braves teams that went to post season after post season for 15 years.  And when they needed a closer he said yes, reluctantly, and was dominant in his three years in that role.  In the post season he was just as good posting a 15 and 4 record in 209 innings with a 2.67 ERA.  As a Braves fan I couldn't be happier and I'm especially happy for Smoltz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment