Sunday, April 17, 2016

2016 Gypsy Queen Baseball Cards

Picked up a rack pack of the 2016 Gypsy Queen baseball cards which contained three individual packs.  I always look forward to the Gypsy Queen cards.  These are very nice and hold true to the designs of the past.  "Gypsy Queen" is in large letters at the bottom of the framed photo with the player's name and team below that.  Just describing it doesn't do them justice.  The photos have that "art" look you see on different cards nowadays and nice fonts in the lettering.  These are the retro themed cards I like as opposed to Topps' other offerings.  These are more pricey but I'll take them over the others any day. 
The backs have a nice look with the player's position, name, team and a short write-up.  There is some older looking deco framing the back of the card.  Plain but nice.  I'm not a fan of either of the two parallels I received in these packs.  The blue framed cards are OK but nothing worth writing home about.  The design is alright but there is just something that seems off about them to me.  The mini cards are just that, small.  Nothing else except a pain to store and display.  I know people like the minis so maybe it is just me.  But I can do without them.    
I do like this set but maybe not quite as much as the designs of year's past. It may have something to do with the lighter coloring on the front border.  Still they are great looking cards and I will definitely grab more if given the chance.  There are plenty of relics and other inserts I didn't get which would definitely be a big plus.  I really like the look and stars of the Power Alley cards.  Might have to chase those down on Ebay.  Definitely take a look at these cards.  Topps has once again done a nice job with this set. 

MY PULL
15 base cards (1 retro player)
5 framed parallels
4 minis (1 retro player)

No comments:

Post a Comment