Saturday, January 14, 2017

2016 Topps Star Wars Rogue One Series 1 Trading Cards

1/1 Magenta Printing Plate Autograph (Paul Kasey)
2016 Topps Star Wars Rogue One Series 1 Trading Cards:  This may be my biggest blog entry as far as total photos go.  I love this set.  Santa Claus was generous and I was able to pick up a hobby box of these cards and I'm so glad I did. 
Top card is a promo card from Star Wars Insider magazine, others are base cards.
The base card design is great to me.  I won't sit here and say it is groundbreaking but personally I love it.  It deviates from the other Star Wars cards we've seen of late but in a good way. 
Base cards.
Base cards have great screen shots from the movie itself as well as promotional stills.  Both are very nice.  The Empire or Rebel Alliance symbols are on the front of each card depending on what we are seeing and a brief description or character name is at the bottom.  Pretty simple but very nice looking.
Blueprint and two Darth Vader continuity cards
Each hobby box is guaranteed two hits.  I pulled a medallion card but the prize really was the 1/1 Magenta Printing Plate Autograph of  Paul Kasey who played Admiral Raddus in the movie.  I've rarely pulled significant autographs and never anything like this.  It was in the first pack I opened and really set the tone for the box.
Character Icons
Gallery
Montage
I also enjoyed the insert cards especially the Montage, Character Icons and Gallery cards.  The art on these inserts was great.  All three were a huge hit for me and would love to collect the full sets of these inserts. 
Heroes of the Rebel Alliance, Villains of the Galactic Empire, Stickers
The Heroes and Villains cards are pretty much the same as we've seen in previous sets which is fine if not that exciting.  The stickers are pretty nice though I only pulled two.
Parallel cards don't do anything for me other than take away from my collecting of the base set.  I get their draw and in some of the sets I have preferred the parallel colors to the base set colors but again I'd rather have a better chance at filling out my set.  I did get a Gray Squad parallel numbered 008/100. 
More Montage cards
Medallion cards take up a lot of space and take away from cards you could pull and I would be alright with more base cards as a whole. I know some folks love them but they just don't do it for me.  You'll also see them in some of the Star Wars card blaster boxes.

Really no negatives here for me.  Anything I've brought up is just nit picking.  I love the design and the cards I pulled and would have even without the 1/1 hit.  This really has me excited for the 40th Anniversary Star Wars cards coming out this Spring and I'm seriously considering grabbing a box of those cards as well.  Series 2 of the Rogue One trading cards also come out in March.  I'll be on the look out for those too.  This was so much fun, I can't wait until I get the chance to break another box of Star Wars cards.

BREAKDOWN:
185 - Total Cards
112 - Base Cards
12 - Death Star (Parallel)
12 - Character Icon Cards
8 - Green Squad (Parallel)
8 - Blueprint Cards
6 - Gallery Cards
6 - Montage Cards
4 - Blue Squad (Parallel)
4 - Heroes of the Rebel Alliance
4 - Villains of the Empire
4 - Darth Vader Continuity Cards
2 - Sticker Cards
1 - Gray Squad (008/100) ) (Parallel)
1 - Magenta Printing Plate Autograph (1/1)
1 - Medallion

3 comments:

  1. Wow what an interesting box, congrats on the plate auto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a trap! Wait... that's not Ackbar. It's still super awesome though. Congratulations on the sweet pull.

    ReplyDelete