Friday, December 7, 2018

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Season 1 (No Spoilers)

Netflix did a darker take on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch called Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.  Season 1, or part 1 as they seem to call it, is now available to binge watch.  This is a take on the Archie comics series of the same name by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.  I really enjoyed this series of which there are ten episodes.  Each are just over an hour long.  The basic plot is Sabrina is half mortal/half witch and is supposed to make a decision on her path in life (toward full witchdom) on her 16th birthday.  This series shows you the lead up to that decision as well as the aftermath.  Plenty of twists and turns and dark humor keep the series entertaining.  I definitely look forward to season 2 and I believe it will come out spring/early next year.


Sabrina has plenty of supporting characters to help the series succeed to include her inner circle of friends from high school, her two aunts who have raised her, a cousin, her familiar Salem and of course all the folks from the witching world.   



Kiernan Shipka's take on Sabrina is great.  She is a confident girl who while, not always right, knows she wants to be her own women and be on the bright side of life even as a witch. 










The only downside to the series for me, and this is a personal thing, is the protagonist/head of the witching world is the devil himself.  As someone whose grown up in the church it is tough seeing him in this light as well as some of the symbolism utilized.  It isn't done in a nefarious way, just as a part of the plot, but it is still a little uncomfortable for me at times.  I'll still watch season 2 but I would have preferred the main baddy be a more generic made-up character.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Archie comics growing up, so I gave Riverdale a shot. Couldn't get into it. Probably won't bother with Sabrina. But I'm sure my students are gonna love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to check out Riverdale but like you I'm not sure it will be my thing. It definitely seems like folks are digging Sabrina so I don't doubt your students will enjoy.

      Delete