Tuesday, January 21, 2020

2020 MLB Hall of Fame - Derek Jeter and Larry Walker

Derek Jeter and Larry Walker were voted in to the MLB Hall of Fame today.  Jeter, though a Yankee, was a great player and deserves all the accolades he receives.  He's a huge reason New York won five World Series during his career.  He had so many outstanding years and is definitely one of the all-time greats at the position.  He was crazy durable and consistent.  
  As David Schoenfield (ESPN) mentioned, Larry Walker probably benefited from voters who rely more on modern stats and are willing to overlook someone who doesn't necessarily have the longevity we are used to seeing in many hall of famers.  I wouldn't have voted for him but I've been swayed before and he might be one I could come around on.  Walker had some over the top dominant seasons and was great defensively.  To me he was a hustle guy that everyone would want as a teammate.  His bat, his glove and they way he played the game made him an outstanding player.    

I love Hall of Fames and the passion that goes behind the arguments for and against different players.  I will say one of the few things I really don't like is someone saying a player isn't a "first ballot hall of famer".  A player either is or he isn't qualified to join the hall of fame.  It's cut and dry.  If you would vote for a guy in year two, three or four then he deserved the vote in year one.  Rant over.

2 comments:

  1. I personally enjoy the whole first ballot hall of famer thing. But I can see your point too. Almost anything involving the hall of fame is gonna involve opinions and debates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The debate is half the fun. Can be tough sometimes but I enjoy the discussions.

      Delete