Friday, July 29, 2022

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

 

Secrets of Dumbledore: Finally watched this one.  I really enjoy the Harry Potter universe but I'm not a "hardcore" fan.  I've enjoyed the latest series of movies but understand there are issues.  Secrets of Dumbledore looks to tie everything together as it ends this storyline.  The three movies definitely struggled with identity.  The second movie, Crimes of Grindewald, didn't feel like a Fantastic Beasts movie and this one seemed like they tried to combined the two.  In doing so some characters didn't get a fair shake and unnecessary plot lines seemed to distract more than help the movie.  Still I enjoyed it.  Much was explained on how certain things came to be to include storylines from the original Harry Potter movies.  I really like the acting overall.  Plenty of good casting including the recasting of Mads Mikkelsen as Grindewald.  I thought it flowed fairly well and was entertaining.  I did have lingering questions about why they did certain things and I'm sure hardcore fans were really shaking their heads.  Hopefully whatever direction this universe takes they get it right next time.  It's a great universe with so many directions it could go to include some of the great characters they have now.  That's my two cents which might be confusing but I enjoyed watching the film.  Always curious what others thought.  Probably go look at some YouTube videos as well to see what finer points I missed.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this yet, but I liked the first two. I always found it odd how dapper Jude Law was as Dumbledore (nice suits/vests), and then eventually turns into a dude who wears long robes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how comfort wins out over style as we get older.

      Delete
  2. I love the Harry Potter films. Watched the first two Fantastic Beasts movies and thought they were okay. Started this one and fell asleep. At some point I'll need to sit down and watch all three movies in a row to help me remember what's going on. I think I'll enjoy it more that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely thinking the same thing. It would have helped.

      Delete