Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: This movie is really good.  The 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is excellent.  This is what you want from a fun Sci-Fi adventure movie.  My understanding is D&D fans like it. I couldn't tell you how true it is to the game but it doesn't matter.  You don't have to know D&D to enjoy this.  They set the stage for you and it is off from there.  Just very enjoyable.  I rented it on Amazon Prime and didn't see it in theaters but I'm sure it was a fun watch on the big screen.  Unfortunately, it sounds like we may not see a sequel.  It only made just over $200 million worldwide while in theaters ($150M budget) and folks don't believe that will be enough to see another movie.  That's a shame as I think this franchise could be really fun and I thought it'd have some legs with all the good press and reivews.  Don't let that keep you from watching the movie.  We'll see where it goes but I obviously recommend the movie to folks. 


2 comments:

  1. I used to play, and my oldest does play. We both enjoyed it a lot. As far as being true to the game, I think they did well there, especially the idea that "Plan A" doesn't always pan out. (On the opposite side, and again this happens a lot within the game, I wasn't fond of the "seemingly normal object that was randomly picked up turning into something incredibly powerful and necessary for adventure later on" trope) I hope despite the poor numbers they give it at least one sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played D&D when I was a kid with my friends. Don't think we played it correctly... but it was fun to roll the dice, create characters and build them up on adventures. Didn't know there was a movie, but I'll check it out when it's free online somewhere. It's kind of perfect timing, because my colleague was giving away a bunch of her books and the only two I grabbed were these old D&D (choose your own adventure style) books from the 80's.

    ReplyDelete