Sunday, February 4, 2024

Random Wax: 2019 Donruss NASCAR Blaster

2019 Donruss:  NASCAR unofficially starts tonight with their exhibition race in the Los Angeles coliseum.  This will be the first time since 2000 that Kevin Harvick won't be a driver.  He's retired and moved up to the booth this year after finishing his Hall of Fame career with one championship and 60 wins.  This is a Classic design.
The base set is one I like.  Fairly simple but I like the number and nod to '84 Donruss which I'm a big fan of.  Good photo of Harvick and Dale Jr. who was a retired great when this set was released.
I do like the car cards.  Especially when you get big photos like this one that really showcase the car.
Retro '86 design.  Not a favorite of mine but they are okay here.  A couple of retired greats with Stewart and Petty while we also get a nice card of current champion Ryan Blaney.
Some cards with a retro feel.  That Decades of Speed insert is pretty cool.  The Icons Mark Martin has an 80s vibe to me while the Retro Rated Rookie of NASCAR Champion Terry Labonte feels like a card from days past with the photo.
Not a favorite Race Kings design of mine.  Two-thirds of the card is just a nebulous background which is boring.  I'm okay with the full body art but we need something else that says Race Kings and not boring.
Another nice car view.
The Contenders design is a favorite of mine.  That Tony Stewart was my relic I pulled - 1986 Retro 1986 Retro Relic.
NASCAR Donruss has so many retired greats and that is so much fun.  These are three of the four optic cards I pulled which are parallels of the regular versions of these cards.
All top drivers in the sport.  Kyle Larson is my pop's favorite driver and Bubba is a favorite of mine who cracked the top 10 in the standings for the first time last year.

That Jeremy Clements is a Black Parallel #/199.  Chase is also a favorite driver of mine.  I think they do a really good job with the NASCAR cards.  Plenty of variety, retired greats, young drivers and stars of NASCAR.  Fun box.  

BREAKDOWN:
51 – Total Cards
20 – Retired Greats
14 – Retro ‘86
5 – Silver Parallel
5 – Nickname Variation
4 - Cars
4 – Optic
3 – Race Kings
3 - Optic Red Wave Parallels
2 – Contenders
2 – Retro Rated Rookie
1 – Icons
1 – Classics Set
1 – Action Packed
1 – 1986 Retro Relics
1 – Black Parallel #/199



6 comments:

  1. If that Action Packed card is embossed... it's easily my favorite. If not... the Classic Harvick is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but not to the extent that the older Action Packed did.

      Delete
  2. Great looking cards! I like the look of the Richard Petty and Chase Elliott cards. I recently opened a blaster of older Donruss NASCAR cards and pulled a 1/1 printing plate of Kurt Busch. But opening the cards got me thinking of trying to build all the Race Kings sets over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Busch is a nice pull. I'm going to do all the Race Kings. They are fun.

      Delete