Friday, January 19, 2024

Random Wax: 1990-1991 SkyBox Basketball (3 Packs)

90-91 SkyBox:  Been itching to picking up a box of this set for some time and so I glad I finally did.  I love these cards and the memories are just as great.  We'll start off with one of the authors of the Laker's "Showtime" team, and five-time NBA Champion Magic Johnson.
Some great small forwards of the era.  All three are in the hall of fame.  Mullin was a fantastic shooter, while Worthy was smooth and great defensively.  Benard King could just flat-out score.
Eddie Johnson is a favorite of mine.  He could shoot and score.  Just a guy who I was a fan of from the word go.
The backs have great different photos but the stats are pretty weak.  Even if they tried to be a little different.
I actually purchased a box of 90-91 SkyBox Series II in 2015 for $5 at a card show.  Five freaking dollars!!!  If only I'd known.  Some solid point guards from the era.  Smith's and Barros' shooting would so play in today's game.
I'm so happy with these.  I love the design and every card takes me down memory lane.  Even guys like Kenny Smith and Moses Malone playing for the Hawks which most folks won't remember.  I'll keep showing these off three packs at a time over time.

  
BREAKDOWN:
45 – Total Cards
1 – Checklist


12 comments:

  1. I opened a box of these in the late 90s. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I had a bunch of these back in the day! I still have my Jordan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I opened a ton from back in the day. Can't say I kept it though but I pulled two in the box so I'm set.

      Delete
  3. This is by far one of my favorite basketball sets of the early 1990s. I just got a big box of older basketball cards and there were many of these cards in it; no stars but a good chunk of others. I am already the team card set but think of putting together the set for nostalgic fun. Do you have extra team cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look. I have sorted it yet but I'll let you know.

      Delete
  4. This is one of those products that I liked... then hated... but now love again. Up until the lockdown, I had an unopened box of Series 1 (along with some 1990-91 Fleer and 1991-92 Upper Deck basketball) sitting in my classroom. I'd use them for summer school when I taught math. Anyways... people started paying ridiculous prices for that stuff, so I unloaded it. Part of me wishes I had it back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a tough decision about hanging on to stuff when it goes crazy. I moved off on a Star Michael Jordan card way too early. And it's less about the money and more about just wishing I still had that card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah the memories. If I remember right these were a little pricey when they were first released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were more than other sets at the time. I don't remember speicfics but they were "a cut above the rest".

      Delete