Tuesday, February 14, 2023

1980 Topps Superman II Rack Pack

Topps Superman II: Happy Valentine's Day?  Well I do love this movie.  One of the best superhero movies in my opinion.  I was eleven when it came out and it hit all the marks for me.  This is a rack pack I recently picked up.
The design here is one I like.  The movie logo, red outer border, and yellow inner boarder look good together. Still plenty of space for the photo too.
These cards, like many of the era, are rife with bad centering.  I feel for anyone trying to collect a centered set of anything from back then.
I call these character cards and they make up cards numbered 2-11.  Not bad and provide good close ups of the cast.
What really made Superman II for me is the bad guys and gals.  Superman had foes who could rightly challenge him and Terence Stamp as Zod was amazing.  He was very commanding and how you want a badass bad guy to be.
Zod, Ursa and Non made-up Superman's foes.  Ursa was played by Sarah Douglass and boy my eleven year-old self had a thing for her.  Well, I think I still have a thing for Ursa.
Did I tell you I had a thing for Ursa?
I showed off cards from the '78 Superman movie last week.  I like the original but Superman II is definitely the best of that franchise.
The backs are fine.  They either have parts of the puzzles you can make with the backs or write ups like this one.  The write ups are fine keeping you informed on what is going on in the movie.  Some also have thoughts from actors and actresses.
Superman's love interest in in trouble.  I always thought Margot Kidder did a good job in this movie.  
The special effects in 1980 weren't what we're used to today but in 1980 we were happy.
Non was the brute of the three.  As if that wasn't evident.  I don't think he actually had any lines in the movie.
The happy couple together.  This is a good movie.  Our 1980 selves were able to see some of the first really good battles on screen between heroes and villains which was fun.  This was a great trip down memory lane. 

BREAKDOWN:
48 – Total Cards
5 – Character Cards
2 - Checklist



2 comments:

  1. The villains definitely made this movie... and the Fortress of Solitude was a nice bonus. I don't remember seeing packs of Superman II in my area and didn't even know rack packs of this stuff existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Superman II was much more enjoyable thanks to Zod. Thanks for showing off packs from both movies!

    ReplyDelete