Sunday, August 23, 2020

2020 Donruss Elite Football

2020 Donruss Elite Football:  As soon as I saw the price point I didn't want to like these but just the opposite happened.  The design is nice. Kind of a blend of shiny cards and standards cards.  Pink parallels?  Why are these such a thing.  And now I'll walk that back a bit as I really like this Christian McCaffrey Star Status pink parallel.  Looks like a perfect insert from the 80s.  It works.  The card has raised portions to it ala Action Packed thought not quite as raised as Action Packed.   
The base set has 100 veterans and 100 rookies.  Jerry Rice graces the cover of the pack but did I get a retired great in my pull?  No!  Looks like those guys are only on inserts.  😞  I only pulled one RC but my pull of veterans was pretty strong. 
This is my one rookie card which happens to be a pink parallel.  Online posts state the rookie cards are numbered to 799 but that's not the case with this card.  I'm obviously confused.  The backs are nice.  Big full color cropped duplicate photo of the one on the front, write-up and stats.  Only two seasons of stats is the only negative.  And yep I pulled not one, but two Christian McCaffrey pink parallels in this pack.
Get to see players in their new team's unis with this set.
This is a good set and it was a good pack.  I'm still not thrilled with the price point though so I can't say I'll pick up more of these. But never say never. 

BREAKDOWN:

30 – Total Cards

3 – Pink Parallel

1 – RC

1 – Star Status


7 comments:

  1. Pink cards aren't my favorite either, but I rarely get anything new, so it doesn't really affect me too much. Oh, and putting a retired great on the pack, who isn't actually part of the set, is kind of lame too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just not sure how pink became such a think for parallels. Nothing against the color but it really doesn't seem that sports related.

      Delete
  2. I feel like I've seen that 80's looking font on that McCaffrey card a lot lately on packaging and possibly even commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he has that vibe. Pink and 80s has been fairly prevalent of late in card sets.

      Delete
  3. That Barkley is stunning! I probably won't see any elie in the wild. Can't find anything in the wild lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It lasted about 3 weeks here so we were pretty lucky.

      Delete