Friday, August 28, 2020

Random Wax: 2016 Topps Opening Day Blaster

2016 Topps Opening Day:  This was a Wal-Mart online purchase.  It was about twice its original cost but seems inline with what they sell for today. You don't see many of these so I jumped on it.  I opened three packs for my post in March, 2016.  That pull netted me the infamous Jose Bautista bat flip card (great photo) and a Mike Trout.  I like this look especially how they handled the logo.  The foggy edges work for me as well though I'm not sure why I like it.  
Christian Yelich was good but not MVP good at this point in his career.
Part of the fun of these older cards is seeing some players in their prime with other teams.
Maybe the most fun is seeing early cards of guys who are now stars like these three guys.
I feel like Ichiro is geting beamed up to the Enterprise.  All three of these inserts are OK but no wow factor for me.  Well plenty of wow factor in the star power. 
Mascots are now a staple of the Opening Day sets and are always fun.
Love the photo on that Superstar Celebrations card.  Kris Bryant has no clue.  Nice Beltre photo on his card as well.  This was a fun find and box. It's exciting when these fall in your lap.  

BREAKDOWN:
77 – Total Cards
7 - RC
4 – Future Stars
3 – Superstar Celebrations
2 – Mascot
2 – Heavy Hitters
2 – Alternate Reality
2 – Striking Distance
2 – Blue Foil Parallel
2 – RC/All-Star Rookie
2 – Future Stars/All-Star Rookie
1 – Opening Day Stars

8 comments:

  1. Even after all this time, Ichiro wearing anything other than a Mariners jersey looks weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No argument here. I know the odds are against any player staying with 1 team for his career but I always want it.

      Delete
    2. Agree. But I'd rather see him featured in a Marlins jersey than in Yankees pinstripes.

      Delete
    3. ANY jersey other than a Yankees jersey!!!

      Delete
  2. Great assortment of cards! I do like that Trout insert card as well as that mascot card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a fun pull. I was a little bummed I hadn't seen Trout as I opened packs but I got him in one of the last packs.

      Delete
  3. I like that Trout! (btw, were we working on a trade lol. I remember an email from awhile back)

    ReplyDelete