Friday, August 21, 2020

2020 Topps Archives Blaster

2020 Topps Archives:  I always look forward to Archives cards so I made an extra trip to the store last night looking for them and guess what I found?    This year's set pays homage to 1955, 1974, and 2002 Topps baseball.  This Hank Aaron poster card insert was my favorite from the box.  Overall I'm not blow away by this year's Archives but the cards are solid.
The '74 are my favorite of the three base designs.  That Schmidt card looks like it really was in the 1974 set.  The retired greats are one of the reasons I like this brand so much.  
The '55 cards are not a favorite of mine per se but they are OK and the backs are my favorite.  Lots for a fan to take in.  I like in.
The '02 cards aren't bad.  I wasn't collecting during that decade so it's kind of fun seeing the design with both retired and current players.
The rookies were represented well. Rookie Hair of the Year award goes to Dustin May.  That blue parallel is #/175.
The backs of the 2002 cards are nice.  I like all the stats, the additional photo and league leading stats in red.  The fun facts on the '55 are fun.

A couple of inserts - 1960 Topps All-Star Rookie and Bowman Archives.  Neither are spectacular but I do like the Bowman card.
These two are hot in the collecting world.  Bichette is off to a hot start this season while Guerrero Jr. is still figuring it out.
 This Yordan Alvarez is a 1964 Giant Size card that comes in the blasters.  Not sure what I'll do with an over sized card but that is always the rub with smaller or larger cards.

BREAKDOWN:

57 – Total Cards
19 – 1974
18 – 2002
15 – Retired Greats
14 – 1955
10 – RC
1 – 1990 Rookies
1 – Bowman Archives
1 – 1960 All-Star Rookies
1 – Purple Parallel #/175
1 – 1964 Giant Size Card
1 – Base Nickname Poster Cards

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finding one of these. Haven't been to Target in a very long time, but I'm guessing that even if I did go, I wouldn't find any of these anyways. Love the 1964 Topps Giant insert. One of my favorite oddball issues from the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got lucky with timing at my small town Wal-Mart. I wasn't familiar with the 64 design. Glad to hear someone who has appreciation for the design.

      Delete
  2. Hadn't seen much of these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first look at these. Not bad, but I'm less excited about these than I have been in years past. The Hank Aaron is awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts. Designs from past years were more exciting to me.

      Delete
  4. Archives don't do much for me, I'd rather see fewer sets and more originality. But that Aaron is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really liking the look of this year's Archives cards. Too bad I cannot find them anywhere. I really like the look of the Bob Feller card. I will defintely be trying to complete an Indians team set out of the Archives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tweeted a blasters worth last night. This years set doesn’t blow me away, but I like that the 2002 cards are printed on the same thicker card stock that the others are. In years past the later year would be printed on thin, white card stock.

    I pulled that same Hank Aaron poster card, love it! Also pulled a sick Mariano Rivera poster card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really digging the Poster cards. I agree about the card stock. That bigger size makes a big difference.

      Delete