Sunday, January 3, 2021

1990 Fleer Football

1990 Fleer Football:  Another of my packs from a football pack lot purchase.  I always had a love hate relationship with this set.  The design can be one I like or not on any given day.  Andre Rison was nothing if not entertaining.  His time with the Falcons brought some amazing seasons.  He would later win a Super Bowl ring after playing a half season with the Green Bay Packers.

Dalton Hilliard was a guy I always liked but he really only had one really good season with the Saints with whom he played his entire career.  The backs of these always befuddle me.  They look like they were printed wrong. The colors are so light.  Very not colorful for being in color.
Not the greatest pull for a pack of NFL cards but it was still fun.  


BREAKDOWN - 15 Total Cards  

7 comments:

  1. Not the biggest names, but this pack takes me back for sure. I wasn't a big football collector as a kid, but certainly remember opening a few packs of this stuff with my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it is all about with these old packs - the memories. I always enjoy opening them.

      Delete
  2. Oh man... I remember when the Saints had Hilliard, Rueben Mayes, and Craig Heyward. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to watch. Well not when they were beating up on the Falcons. Reuben Mayes is an easy one to forget. Good call.

      Delete
  3. I am getting ready to open some 1990 Topps Hockey packs that 9 Pockets was giving away. Fleer was leaps ahead of Topps with printing quality in this aspect in 1990s. I guess 1991 Topps finally got their act together with Stadium Club after being left behind by all the other companies. This isn't my favorite design either, but Fleer was struggling with good designs around this time (1991 Fleer Baseball comes to mind). Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with those hockey packs. I guess all card makers go through periods where they don't get it right all the time. I do think having competition helps. The single makers for each sport stinks.

      Delete
  4. I liked this set a lot when I was a kid, and still don't have anything negative to say about it. And there might not be a lot of big names here, but the Mongo sure is cool.

    ReplyDelete