Saturday, January 2, 2021

Stryper Even the Devil Believes Album Review

Stryper's Even The Devil Believes was released in September the day I left on a road trip.  I was able to listen to it over and over which is one of best ways to do so and what I'd do when I was younger.  This album is great and the first Stryper album I've connected with since Against the Law way back in the day.  Plenty of hard rocking music here and songs I think would be hits back in their heyday.  Music reviews are not easy for me but I can tell you if I like something and I like this album.  I found myself belting out lyrics in the car even during the first listen of some songs.  That's a sure sign I'm enjoying the music.

My favorite song is This I Pray.  It is a slower, soulful, bluesy song that I really enjoy.  Plenty of songs on the album will have that familiar sound that Stryper is known for.  The music is hard and there's good variety.  You won't feel you are hearing the same song over and over.  Others favorites from the album are Do Unto Others, Divider, Blood From Above, and Make Love Great Again.  Not taking anything away from the other songs but these are my favorite.



Some of you are still shaking your head and saying "these guys and their bumblebee outfits are still around?".  The answer is yes.  They still put out new music consistently and I think this one deserves a listen.  I wouldn't say this is my favorite album of theirs but for me it is by far their best stuff since To Hell With The Devil and In God We Trust made them so great in the 80s.  This album is in my drive down the road with the windows down and music up rotation which isn't easy to crack.  I'll always be a big fan of these guys and it's fun to have new music to really be excited about.


 

8 comments:

  1. Nice..I was a fan back in high school...loved their version of "Shining Star".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first song released off Against The Law and it wasn't received well. And while it was more the band going away from what fans liked from the band that doomed that album, I always associate that song with album (which I really like by the way).

      Delete
  2. I'm one of those that had no idea that they were still around. I'll have to check out a few of the songs on YT some night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone I know. Hopefully you'll enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I never was into them back in the 80's. At the time I was more into groups like Van Halen, Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, and Anthrax. I clicked on This I Pray and it was okay. I like soulful and bluesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was into glam metal bands in the 80s and Stryper had a great run. I jumped on board early and have always been a fan. I too like Van Halen, AC/DC and Metallica. Fun age for rock.

      Delete
  4. I still have In God We Trust on my playlists. It was the only song I really remember even though I listened to them way back then. I didn't realize they were still around either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I still listen quite a bit to their older stuff but I definitely qualify as a big fan. I enjoy the In God We Trust album and it has some of their biggest charting songs. And man were they stales on MTV Requests.

      Delete