Friday, January 15, 2021

2020 Topps Baseball Holiday Mega Box

 2020 Topps Baseball Holiday: Was bummed when these were pushed back to a late December release but I found and purchased a loan box at my Wal-Mart last week.  These are the holiday cards we were looking for.  Not Panini's holiday football cards with a single holiday card in the box (rookie relic).  The holiday cards include cards from Topps Series 1 and 2 but are numbered specifically for this release.  We'll start out with this Blake Snell SP (1:7 packs) which was easy to spot due to the Santa hat.
This Christian Yelich with the candy cane bat and eye liner is a rare variation (1:20 packs).  It took me three looks at all the cards before I found the three variations I pulled.  I saw Snell right away but the other two took weren't as easy.  Beckett does a good job looking at the variations at the link here
Some great young players s were in this box including a SP Kyle Lewis who is a hot commodity right now.  
I really like the designs for these.  If you're going to do a holiday card go over the top and make me feel in the holiday spirit which these do.  I know the design isn't something everyone likes and that's okay.  If nothing else collectors should like that the print run on these is less than the flagship set plus you get the different variations.
My relic.  Kind of "meh" on this but of course a more name player changes my outlook considerably.  The design is a big blah too.
You'll never be able to tell from the scan but that Chavis is one of my metallic parallels.  The snowflakes are raised so you can feel them.
I really enjoyed this box.  Hopefully we'll get these in advance of the holidays this year. Just a fun alternative for card designs I like.  ...and you get an die cut ornament in the box.  If you're fan of the player you pull I could see this going on the tree.

BREAKDOWN:
100 – Total Cards
14 – RC
7 – Topps All-Star Rookie
5 – Metallic Parallel
2 – SP
1 - Rare
1 – Relic
1 – RC/Topps All-Star Rookie
1 - MLB Ornament Die-cut




18 comments:

  1. If you're not going to build the variaions, relic, or ornament sets....I'd be interested in trading for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they stole the ornament cards from Pacific!

    I tried to find a box of this and - shocker - couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd given up on ever seeing these but I got lucky.

      Delete
  3. Got my Matt Boyd Relic in the mail the other day, and have the Tigers cards on the way. Have yet to see a single box anywhere.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get lucky sometimes. Glad you've been able to track down Tigers for your collection.

      Delete
  4. The design isn't as good as last years, but still not bad overall. I'm glad Topps is finally trying to make these sets look festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't do a holiday set and not make it festive. Topps did well.

      Delete
  5. Hadn't seen this stuff on anyone's blogs... so I just assumed Topps skipped the Holiday set in 2020. Ripped off or not... I do like the ornament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd seen something on a paid site about them but didn't expect to ever see them. Definitely a nice surprise.

      Delete
  6. THOSE ORANAMENTS ARE BOX TOPPERS, AND ARE HUGE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hoping to come up with a box of these at some point in the next few days. Did you pull any Indians? I like that Gavan Biggio card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one Indian. I looked twice because I couldn't believe that out of 100 cards there wasn't one in there. Sorry. If there had been it would have gon in your pile.

      Delete
  8. It's a shame these are only available at Walmart. Not that I'd be able to find them there or at Target, but I've refused to go to Walmart since covid hit (and since I found out what they were doing with employees who tested positive). I like the set the last couple of years a lot, although I like last year's better. This year is a little TOO over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is over the top. No argument there but that's what I like. I definitely get that it isn't for everyone.

      Delete