Sunday, January 17, 2021

2020 Contenders Football with an Auto

 2020 Contenders Football: More new cards as I found these yesterday and picked up a few packs.  This pack yielded an autograph though not a name I knew.  We'll kick if off with Derrick Henry who is a beast.  Hard not to like watching this guy plow through defenses even if we didn't get to see that last week against the Ravens.
I'm a big Contenders guy but I have to say this year's design, while cool, takes up way too much of the card.  Anytime you only give 1/3 of the card to the photo you've failed.  I don't like saying that as I really do like the overall design.  As a reminder the ticket numbers mean: 
Sec: Weight / Row: Height / Seat: Uni Number
My inserts sans the auto. Round Numbers is a staple of Contenders that let's us see players drafted in the later rounds.  I'm not a big fan of the Winning Ticket design and color but maybe over time it'll win me over.  I do like the colors of the Rookie of the Year Contenders.  Reminds me of some cards I don't remember.
Joe Reed was drafted in the 5th round but did see some time on the field.  He's a receiver who had no receptions but did rush five times for 29 yards and a touchdown.  He also saw some time returning kicks.
The backs are fine but won't wow ya any.  The photo is the same as the one on the front.  The "Game" number on the front looks to be the age of the player and seems out of place.

The base set is 100 cards with rookies showing up in the inserts.  Out of the four packs I had some duplicates but it wasn't too bad.  Not sure I'll search out more of these but again I do like the design so who knows.  Just not on board with the amount of space given to the photo.  I'll end this one with personal collection guy Larry Fitzgerald.

BREAKDOWN:
22 – Total Cards
1 – Winning ticket
1 – Round Numbers
1 – Rookie of the Year Contenders
1 - Rookie Ticket RPS Wild Card Parallel Autograph








4 comments:

  1. I think a cool quiz would be to line up all of the Contenders cards, block the logo to hide the year, and see how many you could identify correctly. These look so similar year in and year out... I bet it'd be a pretty touch challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. A few stand out to me but I think that would be a tough quiz. Good point and that's why I know many collectors don't consistently like this set. It can be a bit repetitive.

      Delete
  2. How are you finding these cards? I haven't even seen any empty slots for football cards in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small town luck. Pretty sure there are other collectors in town but the competition for cards is nothing like what you see in bigger towns.

      Delete