Sunday, June 30, 2024

2024 Donruss NASCAR Hobby Box - 6 Packs with Autograph

2024 Donruss:  This hobby box showed up in the mail Friday.  I'll share the box in four different posts over time. We'll kick it off with Kyle Petty who looks perfect on this Retro '91 card.  Mello Yellow was also a sponsor on one of Cole Trickle's cars in the 1990 movie Days of Thunder.  It is a really fun movie and Tom Cruise plays driver Cole Trickle with Robert Duvall playing his crew chief.
This is the base design.  I'm not a fan.  Fairly bland overall.  Feels like they could have done so much here.  Add the car number under the driver's name.  Throw a tire or small car in the other corner. Something.  
There is one Optic per pack.  Nice pull of one of my favorite drivers, Bubba Wallace.
Plenty of young drivers in the set including this David Starr Red Parallel which is #/299.
Unleashed goes horizontal this year.  A little more color in those white areas would have been nice but I do like the design.  I would also like different animals on different Unleashed cards or move them around.  Something different.
Zane Smith, another favorite driver of mine, shows up on a Red and Blue Parallel.  Nice photos of Jesse Love and Rajah Caruth.  Jesse Love is a rookie in the Xfinity series and already has one win.  He is 19 years-old.  Rajah Caruth is currently ranked sixth in the Truck Series and also has one win on the season.
I like these Season Highlights inserts showcasing fun moments during the season.  Joey Logano is in the winner's circle after winning at Atlanta.
More Optic including my autograph.  Myatt Snider doesn't currently have a full-time ride at any level.  Optics mirror other cards within the set.
Another Red and Blue Parallel.  I like the multi-color parallel from what I've seen so far.  Lots of color on this car card.  I like that photo of Tyler Reddick's Monster Engergy #45.  Two hundred cards in this set, not including inserts, with the breakout below.

Base                                    1-75
Cars                                     76-93
Rated Rookies                     94-100
Retro 1991 – #                    101-170
Season Highlights               171-190
Race Kings                          191-200

A couple more inserts.  Too much dead space on the Retro Series inserts but otherwise I like where they were going with it.  Dominators is fine but not a lot going on there.
I enjoy the retired greats in these sets and here we get one of the all-time greats in 7X NASCAR Cup Champion, Jimmie Johnson.  I like the Production Line inserts.  Simple but I like the design and having the driver and cars on the front.
I'm a fan of Race Kings and this year's design is a win for me.  I like the color and the car in the background.  Maybe a little over the top but still good.
Not as much smoke as I'd like to see on a Burning Rubber insert but I still like it.  The design styling works for me.
Fun cards.  Not every design is a hit but overall, I enjoy the set and drivers.  Some more retired greats to help end it.

BREAKDOWN:
48 – Total Cards
15 – Retro ‘91
10 – Retired Greats
7 – Optic
4 – Cars
3 – Race Kings
3 – Red and Blue Parallel
2 – Retro Series
2 – Rated Rookie
2 – Season Highlights
1 – RC
1 - Unleashed
1 – Dominators
1 – Burning Rubber
1 – Production Line
1 – Red Parallel #/299
1 – Blue Parallel #/199
1 – Base Optic Signatures #/25



8 comments:

  1. Mello Hello Kyle Petty is such a cool card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and he really could rock the hair back in the day.

      Delete
  2. Love that Race Kings insert of Richard Petty! I don't really seek out NASCAR cards... but I might see if there's a cheap copy of that one on COMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's yours! No reason for me to hold on to it.

      Delete
  3. Voting for Richard Petty.

    They should do a documentary about how sponsorships happen. You got companies I've never even heard of, but you also have companies like McDonald's. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a complicated world for sure. I'd enjoy seeing the inner workings of how those happen.

      Delete
  4. Interesting look for this product for sure. How was the collation? That was a big issue in trying to build the set last year. I will probably pick some up once they hit stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels like it was pretty good. Not a lot of duplicates. Maybe I can see how many from the set I got.

      Delete