Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Random Wax: 2021-2022 Illusions Basketball

21-22 Illusions:  NBA free agency kicked off this week and while LeBron is widely expected to stay with the Lakers, he is nonetheless the star of the free agent class. 
We see retired greats in this set alongside current stars and young players.  Finally posting this pack but that's a big part of the fun.  Looking back at where these players were at the time.  In 2020, Devin Booker was selected to the all-star team for the first time.  Khris Middleton and the Bucks were about to win 2021 NBA Championship.
All three of these players have had varied success with Josh Giddey the standout.  He was traded last week to Chicago for Alex Caruso.  He is also my Orange Parallel in this pack.
Giannis had just won his 2nd of two straight MVP awards.  This Chasing the Hall insert is nice though simplistic.
Larry Legend appearance.  Didn't like him until after he retired but I'm so glad I got to watch him play.  The man was amazing.  This is a small pack but a fun one with plenty of star power and memories.
BREAKDOWN:
12 – Total Cards
3 – RC
2 –Retired Greats
1 – Orange Parallel
1 – Chasing the Hall




4 comments:

  1. This pack began with my favorite current player in LeBron and ended with my all time favorite in Larry Bird. These are some interesting looking cards to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look better in hand. I know it's hard to get a good feel for them based on the scans.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see guys like Bird and Payton in current packs. Those were players I pulled when I was opening up basketball packs decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Lots of fun memories of opening old packs and on the court.

      Delete