Friday, April 2, 2021

2015 Topps Opening Day Hobby Box

 2015 Topps Opening Day: 2015 Topps is one of my favorite designs so I've been eyeballing a box of Opening Day for some time and I finally pulled the trigger.  I wasn't disappointed.  I'll do multiple posts of this box over time.  We'll kick this one off with the man himself, a great photo and great design.

There are 200 base cards in this set and it's stacked with greats of the game.  Big Papi and Yadi are favorites of mine.  Not sure how a Yankee snuck in here.  I do like MLB analyst/announcer A-Rod though.  I just pretend he only played for Seattle and Texas.
I love these photos.  Cutch was so much better before he cut the hair.  Fail.
Maybe the most exciting thing with a set six years old is to see players just kicking off their major league career.  All three of these have of course gone on to be stasr in the MLB today. Props to Abreu for the throwback uni.
That blue border means Opening Day Edition parallel though the 2015 Opening Day date was stamped on the back as opposed to the front like they are now on these same variations. Team Spirit cards show off excitement in the game while Opening Day Stars give us 3D cards.
Seems like that Mike Trout card would have fit right in with the Hit the Dirt insert cards.  More fun as Superstar Celebrations show off joy in the game.
Who doesn't love mascots?
2014 was seven years ago but Pujols' numbers were already Hall of Fame worthy.  Albert is in the last year of the mammoth deal he signed with the Angels after leaving St. Louis via free agency. 
Stadium Scenes are pretty awesome as they show photos fans uploaded to Instagram throughout the season. I wish they'd do more of this.  Throwback jerseys are always fun so I like the Franchise Flashbacks.  Stadium Scenes are always good in how they show of home venues and special moments.
Great photo of Clayton Kershaw.  Is that Bryce Harper with short hair? 
King Felix while he was still at the top of his game.  He was 2nd in Cy Young voting in 2014.  I love this set and I loved this box.  So much fun. Is the Mike Trout Franchise Flashback a throwback to the jersey or his hair?  Both?
BREAKDOWN:
252 – Total Cards
19 – RC
11 – All-Star Rookie
8 – Superstar Celebrations
8 – Blue Opening Day Edition
7 – Mascots
7 – Hit the Dirt
7 – Opening Day
7 – Franchise Flashback
2 – Opening Day Stars
1 – Team Spirit










6 comments:

  1. Nice break. Love the 2015 Topps set design too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely top 5 for me. Later this year I'll do a second post showing off more cards.

      Delete
  2. The 2015 set design is one of the reasons I got back into collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I do not recall opening any of these cards in 2015. I agree that there are some great pictures on those cards. I really like those mascot cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't grab many back in the day but I really do like the design and colors. Mascots are always fun.

      Delete