Thursday, April 1, 2021

2021 Topps Opening Day Hobby Box


 2021 Topps Opening Day: Did someone say it's opening day?  Time for a hobby box of Topps Opening Day which I've made a tradition for myself.  Why?  Because I really like Opening Day as a brand.  The logo is great and I enjoy the small set size and inserts.  These hobby boxes don't guarantee hits and the last one I had was a Kyle Freeland auto in 2019.  Doesn't ruin the fun.  Just have to know that going in.
Plenty of star power in this set as you'd expect from a set of 220 base cards.
We'll give catchers some love here.  Was really hoping for a photo with the Yadi stare down.  Topps will really miss out if they don't have a card in next year's set noting Yadi throwing out the youngster after he gives Yadi the finger wag this spring training.  Maybe a Great Spring Training Moments insert?  If you haven't seen it click on that link

  Mascots are always a favorite of fans and collectors.
Youngsters are well represented as well.  
I really like the inserts this year which have a heavy retired legends presence.  Legends of Baseball is all about the retired greats.  Outstanding Opening Day showcases present and past players who had notable opening days.
These Opening Day cards highlight notable 2020 opening days by team.  Doesn't mean they always won but the write-ups always have a way of still making it cheerful.  Dugout peeks, Opening Day Origins and Walk this Way are three inserts I didn't pull.  Those are all short printed but I'm disappointed I didn't get at least one.
This is opening day so these Outstanding Opening Day inserts deserve more blog time.  I like the design and the backs are simple but provides details of the player's highlight.
These are the Blue Foil Opening Day Edition cards which have today's date on the front.  
A little horizontal swag.
Fun box.  I like this year's design and the insert choices.  I'll show off another Opening Day hobby box tomorrow...but from what year?  Come back tomorrow to find out.  Play ball!

BREAKDOWN:
252 – Total Cards
47 - RC
18 – Future Stars
14 – Retired Greats
12 – Mascot
12 – Legends of Baseball
7 – Team Opening Day
6 – Outstanding Opening Day
5 – All-Star Rookie Cup
4 – Blue Foil Opening Day Edition
2 – All-Star Rookie Cup/RC






8 comments:

  1. Haven't seen much of these yet (although obviously just an extension of flagship). The blue parallels look nice.

    Legends of Baseball...real original insert set.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun cards. I'm sure these'll be popping up on shelves soon...and gone just as fast. Definitely nice Legends inserts. Always love seeing those guys on cardboard.

      Delete
  2. Shame on Billy the Marlin for not having his nose covered by his mask...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. What are ya going to do with these mascots? LOL

      Delete
  3. The inserts are a bit of step down from last year. But OD is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. I wish they had more inserts and kept some of those from last year as well. I guess it is part of the trade off for the budget price.

      Delete
  4. I have always enjoyed opening packs of Opening Day, but have not had that fun this year yet. I have not found any in my area. But I do like some of thosr inserts for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun. I haven't seen any in the wild either but fingers crossed...

      Delete