Tuesday, August 30, 2022

1979 Donruss Rock Stars

1979 Rock Stars:  I'd seen these over the years and finally grabbed a pack when I picked up some non-sport packs off eBay.  We'll kick off this pack with one of the great all-time showmen in history.  And who can forget the legendary Queen performance at Live Aid that helped get the band out of a slump.  Freddie was amazing.
Brian May, accomplished Queen lead guitarist and astrophysicist.  My Queen greatest hits albums get plenty of play.
The Village People are one of four bands featured in this set.  And who didn't love this band growing up?  They were definitely different but cool and had great catchy songs.  They threw in a few movies as well.  Fun band for their time.
The Write-ups on the back are good.  Plenty of information.  They didn't cheat you here.
Just classic. The deisign on the cards is pretty simple but effective.
The only thing I know about The Babys is what I read on these cards.  I just don't remember them at all.  I was bummed I didn't pull a card of the last band in this set - Kiss.  Still it was a fun pack.  I could see me picking up more of these.  They're fun and lots of good memories...well outside of The Babys.

BREAKDOWN:
7 – Total Cards
3 – Village People
2 – Queen
2 – The Babys



6 comments:

  1. The Babys had a couple of decent-sized hits in the late 70s, most prominently "Every Time I Think Of You" and "Isn't It Time". Lead singer John Waite went on to have a big solo hit with "Missing You" and was the lead singer of Bad English ("When I See You Smile"). Jonathan Cain was their keyboard player for a while and then joined Journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great stuff. I do know the songs and of John Waite. I also saw Bad English open up for Whitesnake back in the day. Lots of connections. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Very cool pack, I've never seen these before. Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of this set, I just wish they would've included some more bands -- or at least some bands that I actually care about.

    ReplyDelete